Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
This is different - hope you folks don't mind >

This is different - hope you folks don't mind

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

This is different - hope you folks don't mind

Old 11-04-2010, 06:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default This is different - hope you folks don't mind

This afternoon I had a bit of free time and the weather here is abnormally nice - it stinks for hunting - but anyway... Almost a year ago a friend gave me his old 22 cal rifle. It was an old Remington Md. 512 Sport Master - it had a Weaver K4 mounted with a reciever side mount. It is one of those as you adjust it the cross-hairs move in the scope. In this case they were up in the upper left side of the scope. Not going to work for me - so I ordered a Bushnell Banner 3x9x32 - as a 40 would not fit in the mount. As it was neither would the Bushnell - I had to grind the mount out to allow the turrents of the Bushnell to sit in the rings. I completed this project the other day - bore sighted it and today I took the time to got shoot it.

I had no ideal how good or bad this model of Remington was, but 'Doc' said he got it as a young teen and used it to shoot squirrels with in Iowa where he grew up.

Well tonight - I found out that old gun can shoot - I mean really shoot well. Here is the sight in target. You can see my sighting in took several turns to get there at 25 yards but I was running out of day light and wanted to get it done. Once I had the 25 yard dialed in I moved the target to 50, made one more adjustment in the scope and shot the 50 yard group... OK I was done - I wanted to shoot longer range targets - targets that would break... but I forgot the clay pigeons.. they are in the truck and I took the car out tonight.

I ended up shooting dirt clods in the adjacent Winter Wheat field. And I could not believe the accuracy of this little OLD gun. I want this gun for shooting ground squirrels out of the meadow country - shooting to 125 yards... I normally use a .17HMR but have a second gun is nice. It was really fun to shoot and see the clods break + the long rifle high velocity shells I was using are a lot cheaper than the .17's.

Here is the gun... it even looks old but you or at least I can not question it's ability to shoot...

Gotta take some birds next time...

Old 11-04-2010, 06:33 PM
Dominant Buck

That is some fine shooting there. Those old Remington Rifles are hard to beat.

When I was a kid my neighbor had a Remington Model 510 Target Master .22 caliber bolt action single shot rifle. And since I had no .22 caliber rifle at the time and the one my Dad had was a real piece of junk (a Springfield Semi Automatic). The neighbor used to let me take his rifle hunting all the time. Probably because I always brought him a rabbit or two. I had never shot such an accurate .22 caliber rifle as that one. We'd cottontail rabbit hunt after the third hard frost and with that single shot, I brought home many rabbits. He always said he was going to will it to me when he died, but his nephew stormed the house the day of his death and cleaned out his gun collection...

I use a Remington Fieldmaster pump action model model 572 and it is one accurate rifle as well. I mounted a 4x32mm Bushnell scope on it years ago. Any squirrel that lets me lean into a tree trunk and don't hide is as good as dead. When I finally saved up enough money, my father decided I could spend it on a rifle. This was the one I decided I had to have. This model was introduced in 1955 and they still make them today as I understand it. That has to say something for the design.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

nice shooting and nice looking gun,
Old 11-04-2010, 06:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

Dave look what I found in the safe.... So you are saying this is or could be a good shooter also??? - I can not even remember where I got this one...

Old 11-04-2010, 07:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

That's a really good rifle Sabotloader, made when quality control meant something. Most Remington and Winchester .22s made in the 40's and 50's turn out to be fine shooters. I have a nineteen-forty-something Winchester Model 67 single shot that shoots almost as well as that. It's the only .22 rimfire rifle I own these days.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:08 PM
Spike

Yea nice shooting there Sabotloader i have a old winchester model 67 single shot 22 it shoot's really nice. I use it mainly for running my trap line.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Semisane

But as my young son-in-law says - they are OLD and they don't look modern...
Old 11-04-2010, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

my dad has an old single shot 22 no scope, has to left his glasses to shoot it

he out shoots me at 50yrds with an scope. I think he got it when he was an kid and he is 65.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice Shooter Sabotloader! My Favorite .22 is My Old Marlin Lever Action Model 39A, now that Sucker can shoot! Them Old .22's were well built to last and really could shoot. Im sure it will be more than enough for them Squirrels and a-lot Cheaper to shoot than the .17HMR.
(BP)
Old 11-05-2010, 06:16 AM
Dominant Buck

That rifle there will be an excellent shooter. We used to practice for bunnies by throwing a tennis ball down a snowmobile trail (so it would not bounce out) and then shoot it while it was scooting along. With that Target master I could do a pretty good job.

When we'd bunny hunt, we'd find the trails leading into brush piles and on person would stand there and the other would climb up on the brush pile and jump up and down. The idea was to scare out the bunny. If you missed then we'd turn my beagle loose. She'd get on that bunny and start to howl and run that thing right back to you.

The reason I went to the model 572 was it was on sale, I love pump guns, and my friends brother had one that I got to shoot a lot and it was real accurate. Hard to beat the old Remington and Winchester rifles. They were made real well.

My oldest brother picked up a lever action Henry rifle. I am sure you have seen the TV adds for Henry rifles. Now that is a nice shooting rifle. One thing I found out about .22 caliber rifles.. the ammo you shoot makes a world of difference.

Most of my .22 caliber hunting now is done with a Ruger Mark II semi automatic pistol. It has a bull barrel and target sights and is real accurate.