Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Shot the new muzzy >

Shot the new muzzy

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Shot the new muzzy

Old 11-02-2010, 04:52 PM
Banned

Default Shot the new muzzy

UPS dropped off the new scope today without me knowing. I went out to let the small dogs outside and the box was sitting out on the back deck.

Got it all mounted up and boy what a perfect look!

Its just a $30 Barska 3-9x40 but this thing is CLEAR. I was very surprised to say the least. Reviews on the scope were good and so it was a good test. Scope is now dialed in at 100 yards with 100gr Blackhorn209, Winchester W209 primers and .500" 300gr Ballistic Tip Thor.

Before shooting, i modded the plug for an experiment with a .032" flash hole and 1/8" flash channel. No trouble after 12 shots but the carbon build up once i sat down to clean the rifle was nasty. I noticed in my Optima as well with the W209 primers i get a rotten egg smell when cleaning and while reloading on the range, its much more gritty. As soon as i can find a 1000 of the cci 209m's im going back to that.

Beautiful rifling at the BGM section, Notice the Orange front sight as well, not the typical blurry red. Rear sights are also a new style that are spaced out father apart and do not get blurry like the original V1's came with.

The Dead on mount is a Medium and fit the 40mm scope perfect.

After 12 shots,

I always adjust the firing pin pushing out a bit just to hold the primer in place a wee tighter.

Im just surprised to hell and back with that $30 scope!

Old 11-02-2010, 05:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sorry Devil. Just funning ya.

I'm sitting here behind the computer, watching the election returns on the TV, and am giddy with joy

Old 11-02-2010, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Glad you like the scope. Lots of guys complain about how horrible cheap scopes are, but I've had decent luck with them. Now not all of them have tracked the best and been repeatable, but once sighted in they all held zero and most of them had decent glass. Some of them track great, but a few others didn't move the 1/4" click like advertised, but still worked once sighted in.

That being said, I have one of the $30 Tasco scopes from Walmart on my muzzle loader and have been using it on a muzzle loader for 3 years now and it holds zero, and has always shot the same spot. The only reason I've had to adjust it any is that I've taken the scope off twice to to the reticle not being perfectly level. I tried to fix it, but it still was off so I sighted it back in and used it for a while, then finally decided to try one more time at fixing it. I had to sight it in again after that, but other than those two times it's always been dead on, and it's surprisingly clear for a $30 scope. Now it's not as clear or as good in low light as my $200 Burris, but it's pretty decent too and plenty good enough for hunting.

Infact, that being said is the only scope I've had go bad on me has been a Leupold, and I've used 4 or 5 cheap scopes. Plus about 90% of the guys I hunt with use cheap Simmons or Tasco's, and the few others use cheap stuff like Bushnell Banners. or cheaper Bushnells, or the scopes that come in package deals on guns. One or two use stuff like Redfields, but that's even rare. I rarely hear of any of them having any problems, yet 2 friends other than myself have had issues with Leupold's and I only know 2 others that have owned them.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've had pretty good luck with cheap scopes too. The lower priced Simmons and Bushnell to be specific. The only issue I've ever had is once I accidentally dropped my muzzy on a cement floor, and it landed on the scope. The scope was fine, no damage, but it knocked zero off and I had to re-sight it in. But it was fine after that.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice one Semi - I just caught on to your "editing" of FG's Accura pic
Old 11-03-2010, 08:28 AM
mountaineer magic

Originally Posted by Semisane

I'm sitting here behind the computer, watching the election returns on the TV, and am giddy with joy

Now you have an accura that is accurate.
Bout time somebody promoted truth in advertising.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:33 PM
Banned

just adding some purdy pictures i took of the V2 earlier this afternoon. If any V2 shooters wants the full size pic of a certain photo just let me know and i can post that up.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:35 AM
Fork Horn

I'm sure all the other V2 shooters would be thrilled if you posted full size pics of your V2 as you obviously think they've all forgotten what theirs look like.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:59 AM
Banned

the full size pics are for back grounds on the computer
Old 11-04-2010, 09:43 AM
mountaineer magic

Originally Posted by Semisane

Well after perusing through all the neat photos for computer backgrounds I choose semi's. , although MD's were a little more artistically posed with nice detail

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.