Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Thompson Center Omega vs Black Diamond >

Thompson Center Omega vs Black Diamond

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Thompson Center Omega vs Black Diamond

Old 10-31-2010, 11:26 AM
Fork Horn

Default Thompson Center Omega vs Black Diamond

So, I've been a big fan of the Black Diamond muzzle loaders ever since I saw my first one, but I've never had one. Every one I've ever seen has shot amazingly with most any bullet tried in it, as well as the gun just having a quality feel. The only issue I've seen is it gets super dirty with how it's setup, and it's a little harder to take apart to clean, but it's no big deal really.

Now on the other hand, I've heard a lot of good about the Omega Z5 and it seems to be T/C's flagship rifle nowadays. I've got two friends with them, and the first one impressed me and shot great. I really liked it. After seeing that, his brother went out and bought one also and his shoots like crap. At first they said the scope was bad as it shot all over the place. Yet, they put another scope on it, and it did the same thing. The groups weren't good at all. 3-4" was about the best I saw them get. They did say it shot slightly better for them this year when they took it out, but I wasn't with them this year.

Well, I'm really wanting a new muzzle loader, and I was thinking I finally wanted to pick up the Black Diamond, but I'm wondering if I'd be better off to go with a Omega. So what's you guys opinion? I want something stainless steel for sure, and something that will stand up to some abuse when hunting, as well as being accurate. So which is the better one to go with?
Old 10-31-2010, 11:58 AM
Typical Buck

If T/C is your choice then I would look at the Triumph.....I.M.O the best muzzleloader for the money T/C makes. Just search some old posts and you will see they are loved by alot of people.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:41 PM
Fork Horn

After looking at those I really like them, but at the same time I'm also really liking the Savage muzzle loaders. I can't decide if I want to spend that much or not though.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:54 PM
Dominant Buck

I own a blued Black Diamond XR. It has a 1.5-4.5x32mm Bushnell Banner Dusk to Dawn scope on it. I once was talking to a technician at T/C. We were discussing the Omega and the Triumph. He joked and asked me when I was going to get one of them. I told him the day it could out shoot my Black Diamond XR. He then went on to say that while the Black Diamond was a dirty fouling devil, they just flat out shoot! He's right too. Almost anything I want to shoot out of my Black Diamond will shoot well.

1&2 were a different projectile. But you can see what it does with this new bullet I was testing.

This is the BD shooting conical bullets. I use these when I hunt heavy cover.

There is the rifle shooting a very powerful load and excellent quality bullet. Most my shots are 50 yards or less where I live.

I would bet that the Omega can do the same kind of accuracy. Maybe even better. I was shooting a white paper plate off shooting sticks on afternoon at my friend's farm at 150 yards with the BD. I just never saw the need to update. Although I have a lot of other inline rifles to shoot as well.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:23 PM
Fork Horn

That's the kind of accuracy I've seen from them too which is what makes me want one badly. Of the two friends with Omega's one of them shot okay, maybe not quite that well, but pretty decent groups. The other was horrible, and he couldn't get any better than 3" or so groups. It just was pretty bad. That's what scares me off from them, but I realize he may have just gotten a lemon and the other one does shoot good.
Old 10-31-2010, 03:44 PM
Dominant Buck

I can not swear to this.. but I would be willing to be that the barrels come off the same rifling machine, and then the breech end is made. But you are right... talk to anyone that has a Black Diamond and they will tell you they are a filthy beast but when it comes to shooting... hard to beat.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

My Black Diamond is the old one with the 22 inch barrel. The blue job is better than any of the TC guns that are made today. Yes, my Black Diamond it dirty. It also shoots like a dream.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have had almost all the muzzle loaders TC has made and it was no trouble to me to get any of them to shoot really well, I have had a number of Knights and can say the same for them.
If i had to choose one out of all of them it would be the Triumph because of two things, its shear consistency and its like for a heavy load. It does best with 110 and 120 gr loads with most bullets.
Yet while it likes fewer loads the Omega is an excellent gun liking a bit lighter loads 90 and 100 as a rule with a laminated wood stock and the 25 case conversion it stands among the very best.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had the BD but sold it after I got the Omega.The BD handles better but it was fairly picky about the loads.It only shot well with some sabots but those it liked it shot very well.The Omega shoots any bullet,bullet weight or powder well with the right powder charge.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:27 PM
Fork Horn

I also have a black diamond and it shoots great, not picky on bullets at all. 1 1/2inch groups at 100 yards very common off bench with scope. very dirty with Goex or Pyro. Shoots fairly clean with 777 and have never had a crud ring problem.