Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Opening day success in VA >

Opening day success in VA

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Opening day success in VA

Old 10-30-2010, 09:56 AM
Fork Horn

Default Opening day success in VA

Shot this 6 pointer this AM. He won't win any prizes, but I bet he tastes good! First deer with the Accura. 90 gr 777, with 240 XTP. Was surprised he ran 100 yards like he did. Perfect double lung shot. All of the deer I have killed with the 250 shockwaves and Omega never ran more than 15 yards. I really like the way the accura shoots the XTPs though. Hopefully the next one doesn't go as far. Anyone else have any probs with the XTP not dropping deer quickly?

Last edited by saltflyz; 10-30-2010 at 12:11 PM. Reason: adding picture
Old 10-30-2010, 10:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

Anyone else have any probs with the XTP not dropping deer quickly?

Congrats on the buck. Not when i put the bullet in the right place. Dropped a big doe earlier this week with the 240 grain .430 XTP that bang flopped. i've killed a lot of deer and dozens of hogs with that bullet. i've never had a hog or deer that was wounded with that bullet get away: Although there have been several memorable long tracking jobs and long dragging jobs when i put the the bullet in the wrong place.

Which 240 grain XTP were you using? In addition to the 240 grain .430 XTP there is a 240 grain .452 XTP Magnum bullet that is much harder. i have no experience with the latter bullet.

Last edited by falcon; 10-30-2010 at 10:18 AM.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:13 PM
Fork Horn

good question...I will check the bullet
Old 10-30-2010, 01:55 PM
Dominant Buck

congratulations on the buck. Looks like a real good eating one to me.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nothing wrong with that. Sometimes things happen that we can't explain. Either way the deer died, and you put it in the right spot, so it is no fault of you or the bullet. Just how things go sometimes, and 100 yards is not that far. I had an elk go 400 yards with a 385 grain Hornday in her chest last year. The bullet stopped just inside the hide on the far side, taking out both lungs.

Later,

Marcial
Old 10-30-2010, 03:39 PM
Typical Buck

Congrats. I got skunked but had fun anyway.
Old 10-30-2010, 04:10 PM
Spike

Congrats on your opening day muzzleloader buck.........that should be some good eating there.I was out in my stand this am an killed a small buck(5 pointer)250gr shockwave found it's mark..fell in his tracks.
Old 10-30-2010, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

All I have used for over 15 years are the 240gr XTP Bullets, they are awsome! I use them in My ACCURA with 110grs of Pyro RS and Win W209 Primers, or T7 Primers, both group the same with each Primer.
I have had Excellant results with the XTP's, never lost one Deer while using them and they are accurate as hell out of My ACCURA.
Now 100yds is'nt bad, I have seen Deer go that Far on a Double Lung shot and others go 15yds on the same shot. Every Deer is different, it all depends on the Deer and what he and you were doing at the time of the shot. I think a Spooked Deer at the time of the shot will go further, and also some Deer just plain go further, some Die and some Fly. It's like when you shoot a Big Tom Turkey and he just falls over dead and the next one you get Flaps and Flaps his wings even though he's done.
All that matters is You Got Him, dont give up on the XTP's, they never let me down and Im sure they'll continue to keep your Freezer Full.
Congrat's!
(BP)
(BP)
Old 10-31-2010, 04:24 AM
Spike

congrats on ther buck...I think the light switch went on for the bucks yesterday at daylight here in Tazewell county......it got turned off at noon hahaha nice shot on yours and good luck..heath
Old 10-31-2010, 05:31 AM
Typical Buck

Congrats. I didn't even see a squirrel yesterday morning,

buddy shot a spike and a 6 pointer from the same stand 15 minutes apart and maybe 5 yards from each other.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.