Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Are You a (Modern Traditionalist) MLer and Bow ONLY? >

Are You a (Modern Traditionalist) MLer and Bow ONLY?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Are You a (Modern Traditionalist) MLer and Bow ONLY?

Old 11-03-2010, 07:59 PM
Fork Horn

Deer 655, same thing happened to me. I think on average, someone taking up the recurve spends two years + with one, and shoots it very frequently because he really enjoys it. It is a good idea to keep the draw weight down in the low 40s. It will allow you to shoot more smoothly and give you time to find your focus. Eventually you will find your natural shot routine. It also helps to have an accomplished shooter guiding your development so you avoid ingraining too many faults. Then find yourself a nice fence line where they like to walk along the standing corn close to you, and you will have your first stickbow deer.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:21 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by lootie da beers
An old Ben Pearson Cougar recurve and a .54 GPR for me.
The very first bow I ever hunted deer with was a (used) Ben Pearson Cougar. It was #55 pounds draw weight and I think 52 inches or something like that. It was a very long bow. But also very smooth to draw. I'd hate to think how many arrows I shot off that thing. I used a tab for the finger release, and it really was a nice shooting bow. The first deer I shot at was a huge doe. I had stalked her into a Christmas tree farm. And was working the rows and finally got with in fifteen yards of her. I released the arrow and it buried in the trunk of a Christmas tree that was between her and I. I was shooting them old single blade pearson broad heads (big heads too) that we would sharpen with a file.

I hunted for years with it until the laminate started to separate. Then I went to a Browning Cobra compound.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:52 AM
Fork Horn

I'm with Falcon, I use what ever gets me, my son, and my daughter in the woods more. I am partial to my percussion caps, and my bow though. however my bow is a compound, with more due dads hanging oof of it than a guy needs. I would love to go the more traditional road, but I SUCK BAD with a recurve. Also it is very price to hunt these days, I do not have private land to hunt anymore so we either have to hunt with a guide or go it alone. So I will use what ever it takes to leagally harvest game. For my family it is about putting supper on the table.

All that being said, I do respect the guy or gale who goes out and does it the traditional way. It takes time and dedication to hunt that way. Now adays it's the time I no longer have. I do try VERY hard to teach my kid's the many different ways of take, But I think back if I had tried to take a deer with a recurve, or a BP rifle when I was 12, I would have had one hell of a time.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:33 PM
Fork Horn

Sold all my centerfire rifles severa years back and made the decision to go MZ only in late '08. Bow hunt like crazy as well. Love the feeling of knowing you did the job with one shot.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ZRider
Sold all my centerfire rifles severa years back and made the decision to go MZ only in late '08. Bow hunt like crazy as well. Love the feeling of knowing you did the job with one shot.
I like your Style and I know how you feel!
(BP)
Old 11-08-2010, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
The very first bow I ever hunted deer with was a (used) Ben Pearson Cougar. It was #55 pounds draw weight and I think 52 inches or something like that. It was a very long bow. But also very smooth to draw. I'd hate to think how many arrows I shot off that thing. I used a tab for the finger release, and it really was a nice shooting bow. The first deer I shot at was a huge doe. I had stalked her into a Christmas tree farm. And was working the rows and finally got with in fifteen yards of her. I released the arrow and it buried in the trunk of a Christmas tree that was between her and I. I was shooting them old single blade pearson broad heads (big heads too) that we would sharpen with a file.

I hunted for years with it until the laminate started to separate. Then I went to a Browning Cobra compound.
I still have and Hunted with (Bears) Original First Compound Bow, I never took a Deer with it though. You could count the seconds it took for the arrow to hit the target. I look at it some times and think WOW, this is what they had to use back then!
(BP)
Old 11-09-2010, 05:33 AM
Dominant Buck

I had a Bear Whitetail compound after I sold my Browning Wasp. It was a good bow, but too big for the kind of hunting I wanted to do. The Browning was a small bow and perfect for tight places. I then went to a High Country. That is a great bow. But after tearing my shoulders out a few years back, in order to pull it back, I have to do a big arch. Then I am limited as to hold back time. I just decided it was not as much fun anymore.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:16 PM
Fork Horn

Yes, only muzzy and Hoyt for me now. I have shot my biggest deer with these weapons anyway. I let the kids use the rifles.
Old 11-09-2010, 03:19 PM
Spike

I started hunting with a single-shot 12 gauge. I have always hunted with the mindset that if I couldn't drop it with one shot I shouldn't be shooting at it.

2 years ago I dropped the shotgun and now use only the muzzy. (just got my Impact this week....LOVE IT!!!!!)
Old 11-14-2010, 04:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Been long time since i posted here. Don't reckon i am traditional. My days of LongBows , Recurves & Compounds were over some yrs ago. Been shooting a CB fer many yrs now & ML's i have 4 of them. All T/C's 3 50's 2 caplocks, & one inline collecting dust. I have one .56 smoothbore. I just sighted in my greyHawk today as Firearms season opened Sat. but its been like a small war in these hills fer 2 days. I will go out in the morning & sit n watch n wait. I have taken 4 Tick Toters with my CB this yr.