Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Got my hunting license.  And my "muzzleloading license".  Grrrr. >

Got my hunting license. And my "muzzleloading license". Grrrr.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Got my hunting license. And my "muzzleloading license". Grrrr.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Got my hunting license. And my "muzzleloading license". Grrrr.

I did not know until yesterday that I needed to purchase a separate muzzleloadling license. Ridiculous. In Virginia, you have to purchase your state hunting license, regardless of what you are hunting. It allows you to hunt small game...rabbits, squirrels, possibly varmints (not sure), frogs, etc. If you want to hunt deer, bear or turkey, you need to purchase a big game license on top of that. Apparently, that only covers general firearms season, which I did not know. If you want to hunt during muzzleloading season, you have to purchase your muzzleloading license on top of that. And if you want to hunt archery season, you have to purchase your archery license on top of that. And even though crossbows are legal during archery season, you have to purchase a separate crossbow license on top of that if you want to use crossbow.

"String that boy up. He's been caught poaching the king's deer!!"
Old 10-28-2010, 08:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

7.62NATO

Taxation without representation!!!

Go hunting loose those frustrations...
Old 10-28-2010, 09:10 AM
Typical Buck

Don't forget the national forest stamp too. VA gets you every which way they can. I guess most other states do to though, but I don't know.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:23 AM
Fork Horn

No state gets you like NJ
Old 10-28-2010, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

You're right, Sabot. I'd rather them call it what it is, a TAX. License makes it sound so benign. And worry not, I'm counting the hours until Saturday morning, hoping the wind is right for the spot I want to hunt first.

ADV, yup, another $4. On the weekend of the 13th, I'm going up to my friend's dad's farm near Roanoke. He lives close to the top of the mountain. They don't purchase hunting licenses for hunting on their own land, and I have no problem with that. In fact, they don't adhere to doe days either. If they want to take a doe, they do it. I really don't have a problem with that either, especially since that land gets hunted only a few days per season.

The property borders on the Jefferson National Forest. When you reach the top of the mountain and start to head over the other side, you're in JNF. If I happen to slip over the other side of the mountain when I'm there, I don't think I'll allow the lack of the National Forest tax to bother me too much.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:50 AM
Fork Horn

Similar here in NY ,buy hunting lic either small game or big game one fee then seperate fees archery,muzzle, trapping, then extra fee for DMP doe tag (which you may not get). And the powers that be raised the age for senior citizen from 65 to 70,gotta love those Ba-t--ds
Old 10-28-2010, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

7.62 Nato

I feel your frustration. I have a lifetime VA license and I STILL have to pay $101 for a license every year because I'm out of state.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

those in state $18 here $18 there, oh $4 for forest lands,

nato, don;t forget if you use up your tags the extra for more.

now, does in va resident know if you have to buy an special tag to hunt in cities that have an bow season.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

I hate to even tell you guys my situation.

I'm old enough for the Louisiana Old Fart license. I pay $5 for a license that covers small game, deer (bow/primitive weapons/rifle), turkey, migratory birds, freshwater fish & saltwater fish. However, I do have to also buy the Federal stamp if I want to duck hunt.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:30 AM
Typical Buck

Smile

Originally Posted by Semisane
I hate to even tell you guys my situation.

I'm old enough for the Louisiana Old Fart license. I pay $5 for a license that covers small game, deer (bow/primitive weapons/rifle), turkey, migratory birds, freshwater fish & saltwater fish. However, I do have to also buy the Federal stamp if I want to duck hunt.
Me Too!! Gotta Love It! I have only been able to do that for two years now.I won't ask
how long perfesser Sane has been an an OLD FART.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.