Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Trajectory of 460 gr conical >

Trajectory of 460 gr conical

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Trajectory of 460 gr conical

Old 10-27-2010, 04:34 PM
mountaineer magic

Default Trajectory of 460 gr conical

I decided to use a White Super 91 this season,for at least one deer anyway.I just ordered a Lyman 57 peep sight and plan on sighting it in next week. I have never used a low charge ( 70 gr ) but after several posts decided to give it a try. Does anyone know what the trajectory would be if I sight in 3" high at 100 yards. I would like to be able to shoot out to 150 yards. 460 gr bullshop conical, 70 gr 777, 0r 70 gr pyrodex. Is 150 yards within the dead on hold with that load or do I need to up the charge ? I know in my 54 with a 425 gr and 90 gr I am ok, but since I don't have a crono to get velocities I don't have a way to check trajectory. I am guessing about a 12 inch drop from 100 to 150 yards.and if I stick with 90 or 100 gr about 4 inch drop. is this close Thanks

Last edited by mountaineer magic; 10-27-2010 at 04:53 PM.

Old 10-27-2010, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hi Chet,
I am sure somebody can do a better job of answering that than me but I am thinking you would be at about 0 at 125 yards and 3 or 4 inches low at 150. I know that would be pretty close. I know it's more of an arc than you are use to.
Art
Old 10-27-2010, 05:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use 80 gr of pyrodex P in my gun with a 460 gr paper patched bullet.
You said your putting on a Lyman 57 sight. My question is why are you going to use only one sight in point???
The 57 is field adjustable so you can have a 50, 100, 150, and a 200 yard mark. When you use a range finder and get the yardage you set the sight to that yardage and hold dead on. I have been doing that for years. Ron
Old 10-27-2010, 05:09 PM
mountaineer magic

Originally Posted by idahoron
I use 80 gr of pyrodex P in my gun with a 460 gr paper patched bullet.
You said your putting on a Lyman 57 sight. My question is why are you going to use only one sight in point???
The 57 is field adjustable so you can have a 50, 100, 150, and a 200 yard mark. When you use a range finder and get the yardage you set the sight to that yardage and hold dead on. I have been doing that for years. Ron
I didn't think about that but you are right. I should sight in at 50, 100 and 150 and simply mark the setting or count clicks from 50 yards on for each range. that might be a better option.thanks

Old 10-27-2010, 05:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

chetmarks

I should sight in at 50, 100 and 150 and simply mark the setting or count clicks from 50 yards on for each range. that might be a better option.
Clicks are not necessary - it has a quick release that you push and move the site to which ever elevation you need to make the shot. So you do just what you said. Shoot what ever point is going to be your '0' point then set the scale to reflect that point then shoot your next yardage by using the 'quick release' to move the apeture up... note that point and continue on... It even has an adjustable positive '0' stop.

It is really a cool peep....

If you look just to the right of the elevation knob you will see the screw that sets the 'positive stop' anyway that is what I call it. This stop is set @ 25 yards for shooting PRB's at rondies...

Then if you look down the body just above the word Lyman you will see a small round circle - on the front side of the sight there is a push button that releases the elevation control and you move it to where you want for the range you are shooting...

Just as a side note... I shoot Dan's .503/460 grain Bull Shops with 90 grains of T7-3f and with a shot card under the bullet. It is dang accurate...

Here is a really old target - you can see how the 90 grain load tightened the group up... + in those days this was what I considered my Idaho White as we had to use a sidelock + lead conical + open sights + caps + loose powder...

And I know - you do not need 90 grains...

Last edited by sabotloader; 10-27-2010 at 05:36 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I also have a lyman 57SME but have barely used it yet I got it with a gun I bought this fall. I really wasn't familiar with how they were meant to be used. Thanks for the info.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Forgot to put the ballistic sheet in....

Old 10-27-2010, 05:48 PM
Dominant Buck

Sounds like a long day on the range. If you are going to shoot Pyrodex.. I personally would use the Pyrodex P. That is what my rifles like.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:05 AM
mountaineer magic

Thanks for all the help . I really appreciate it. I will post a report after the sight comes in and I get to shooting. Cayugad, I can't get P locally but next trip to rapid I plan on picking some up. Til then it is Triple 7 3f or pyrodex select.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:10 AM
Dominant Buck

My Bison likes 80 grains of Triple Seven 2f for some reason. It really puts them down range with that. But my .451 Model 97 loves Pyrodex P or Swiss 3f. When I load those powders, that has to be one of the most accurate scoped rifles I have.

I started shooting Swiss 3f because Batchief suggested it. He was right on the money with that advise. First five shots at 50 yards and a half dollar would have more then covered the holes. But I was only shooting 65 grains of powder.

I really want to see what kind of trajectory you discover. I sight mine in for 50 yards because of where I hunt. So this is going to be an interesting post.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.