Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Are these rings okay? >

Are these rings okay?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Are these rings okay?

Old 10-25-2010, 10:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default Are these rings okay?

So I remounted a scope today on my muzzle loader in preparation for hunting season. I mounted it last time, but it wasn't mounted with the crosshairs leveled to the barrel so I finally decided to fix it. I mounted it all up and when tightening, I alternated from one side to the other giving it about half a turn on each side then to the other side. I got it done, went and shot it and got it sighted in, only to get back home and notice when cleaning it, that the front ring is like it's not straight. Here is a picture of what I'm talking about.

What is the deal with that? What caused it to do that? Is it something I can leave, or do I need to fix it? I hate to shoot it again as I'm tired of shooting up my powder and bullets as I already shot it quite a bit more than I wanted to. If I do need to fix this how? What caused it to do this?
Old 10-25-2010, 10:05 PM
Banned

i had a set that did that, i just turned it around and it lined up fine afterward.

They sell lapping kits for the rings but they arent cheap.

If it shot fine at the range, go with it, you can deal with it after the season.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:23 PM
Typical Buck

I agree with MD,for what it's worth.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:30 PM
Fork Horn

I have a set on my 30-06, that one ring looks like that. been there for 20+ years. Hasn't moved. If it doesn't move, why change it!