Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

barnes bullets

Old 10-20-2010, 04:48 AM
Fork Horn

Thumbs up barnes bullets

I bought into the hype about Barnes bullets and decided to try them this year in my .50 cal Encore. Not often do things do as advertised, but these sure did. I had a close shot on a nice little buck I stalked up on. It was a hard quartering away shot. I shot behind the last rib trying to exit near the off shoulder. At the shot the deer lurched and ran about 10 yards. The damage was unbelieveable. That bullet did major internal damage before exiting the rib cage and then smashing the leg on the far side. As they picture in the ads, a perfect six petal mushroom. Oh, and I get about a 1 1/2 inch group at 100 yards.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds good 2eagles! Congrats on the hunt! Barnes are good bullets. Too expensive for me to punch paper with but a great little huntin' bullet. Especially if this lead ban starts spreading.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:07 AM
Dominant Buck

I always wanted to try them but because of their price kind of looked at them only. Then I found a shop that had the Barnes MZ Expanders, ten on a card for $4.99 each on clearance. So I bought all 15 cards. These things really do shoot. Some of the best groups I ever shot are with these Barnes bullets. Sure am glad to hear they do as they claim on game. I have not had a chance to test that part of them yet. Congratulations on the deer.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:13 AM
bigcountry

I have used them for 5 years. Expanders that is. And can say they are the best there is, IMO.

I have shot SST's, dead centers, XTP's, Powerbelts, barnes spitfires, maxihunters and maxiballs. And the expanders beat them all for accuracy. I wish they had a better bullistic coef. But I have killed out to 140 yards,

Old 10-20-2010, 06:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think my favorite Barnes will always be the 45-250gr Expander MZ. This bullet has never failed me and has shot extremely well for me in the largest variety of guns and loads.

In the 54x50 i love the smallest 50-275gr Expander and buy them out if on clearance. That huge hollow point opens up even on mild loads everytime.

Knight had a sale on the 250gr but sold out before i could get a bunch, so i bought the 285gr Spitfires for about 50% off. Good bullet but very finicky about expansion at low velocity.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:06 AM
Fork Horn

me and several buddies had trouble with lack of blood trail for a few years. Last year I got a pack of barnes and you can run down the blood trail. It blew chunks of lung out the size of half dollars when it hit. I will shoot nothing else as long as I can but them.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:42 PM
Fork Horn

For me its the 245 grain Barnes Spitfires. Under an inch at 100 in my Disc Elite and 3 inch groups at 200.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:03 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by vadeerkiller
For me its the 245 grain Barnes Spitfires. Under an inch at 100 in my Disc Elite and 3 inch groups at 200.
My omega loves these 245gr spitfires. I don't sight in past 50 yards, but my groups are tight. I was gonna transition to a less expensive hunting load but last year's buck changed my mind. I was fortunate to recover the bullet...beautiful expansion and a weight of 245 grains.