Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Move It

Old 10-18-2010, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Move It

I just got finished moving my ladder stand. The land owner told me yesterday,four days before opening day of black powder season now mind you, that he wanted me to move my stand. The thing is it was in the corner of his property close to the border of his neighbors property where there is a horse trail nearby the neighbor built. I've been hunting that spot for 3 years now. I have my mineral lick there and have plenty of videos of nice bucks at the lick. I hunt there with his grandson, the one who said he was going to bleach my mineral lick, and he has seen some of the videos of the bucks I have filmed. Funny though,while I was up in the stand ratcheting it to the tree I heard a noise behind me and turned to see a big doe 20 yards away in the field and moving away from me. With all the noise I was making you would think there wouldn't be a deer within a mile of me.

Last edited by pluckit; 10-19-2010 at 09:58 AM.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you don't hunt where other people don't, you might not see the deer they don't.

Don't worry about a change in location. It can be the best thing after hunting the same stand location a few years in a row.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:20 AM
Typical Buck

pluckit , I had something similar to that happen to me before. Sometimes it is better not to share with others ,what you are seeing on your trailcam,or what you have seen yourself.
It shouldn't be that way,but,it often is.Good Luck in your new stand location. Kill a BIG one.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:28 AM
Dominant Buck

Property owners can be strange. When they tell you to do something, even if it sticks in your craw, all you can do is smile and agree if you want to keep hunting there. I usually works out anyway. Something to do is if your new spot is a bust, you can take a "walk" and happen over to that area just before the end of the day.

When I was a young man I had permission to hunt some excellent property in southwestern Wisconsin. I walked (grouse hunting) that land for days, working out deer routes, and finding feeding and bedding areas. I made the mistake of telling the owners son of my find.

We arrived at deer camp the evening before opening, and the owner of the land (who hunted also) announced that I was going to have to move out of that valley because his son was going to take my stand. Well needless to say, I was upset. But I had scouted well, and knew of a different valley to hunt.

The son ended up shooting a large buck that morning and I also shot a large buck. As we were in camp that night telling the stories of the day's hunt, this kid started bragging about his stand, etc. Well it made me mad. I mentioned it was a good thing that I was not to lazy to work out and study the land because he'd never got off his fat */<> to do anything but steal my stand. Needless to say it was the last year they let me hunt there.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Needless to say it was the last year they let me hunt there.
The price of righteous indignation is often high. But the measure of satisfaction is often worth the price.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guy's. The new spot looks promising with a lot of deer tracks and like I said I saw a doe while putting up the stand. It just upsets me to have to move this close to opening day. Plus, I've invested a lot of time, money and effort into the other spot. All is not lost though really, I'm only about 100 yards away from the old spot. I'm going hunting this evening, tomorrow morning and evening, with my crossbow, and then It's muzzleloader season!!!!

Last edited by pluckit; 10-19-2010 at 10:02 AM.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:47 AM
Dominant Buck

Good luck hunting.. keep us posted.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I never tell anyone about what i see, ecspecially property owners. It's a shame you got screwed for sure.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Im Fortunate enough to own My Own Land to Hunt on and also help out a Farmer who is my best Friend who owns 7 Farms, our own click of Friends mabey 8 in all are only allowed to Hunt the Propertys, so Im really Blessed. But I have also been where you are and I know how it feels to have to move from a good spot (Land was sold, Posted, Home Built, ect) and there's so much of it going on and it never seems to end. I know too many people that have lost there Favorite Huntng spots to theese things and had to move on, some had to QUIT Hunting alltogeather because they had no place to go, that would really SUCK as State Owned Hunting Land is so Crowded, enough said.
Look for a Landowner that you can befriend and do Work for in exchange for Hunting rights, or possible Lease the Land as Times are tough now and Money Talks.
Now NOISE Never Chases away DEER, Deer are Courious, and too many times I have been clearing out Trees for Shooting lanes for My Stands or clearing Brush only to have Deer come in to Investigate what the Hell's going on......now if it's Late in the Deer Season and you make a Noise that's a Totally Different Thing as the Deer are now afraid of there own Shadow.
Good Luck on your new spot. What's funny ios I own a Piece of Property that's a Natural Funnel and when the Shooting starts the Deer go to My Property and I have mentioned to some of My friends to go there and Hunt, (I dont Hunt it as I have so many other places to go, mabey when I get OLD and cant go far, I'd only have to walk accross the street to the stand) but NO Takers! cany figure it out, sure it's only 10 Acres, but them 10 acres are full of Deer and there safe and sound and I have taken some Nice Bucks there over the years.
(BP)
Old 10-21-2010, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I also had the same problem with a land owner. I too let my mouth override my senses and let fly. Now I don't have that problem. I joined a hunt club that is ideal, I pay my dues and can go hunt whenever I want and not have to grovel to anyone for permission. And most important, I don't have to kiss anyones a** anymore. It is a great feeling. I never was good at chosing my battles.

Life is good now. Success to all this season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!