Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Crud Ring Issue Fixed! >

Crud Ring Issue Fixed!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Crud Ring Issue Fixed!

Old 10-20-2010, 09:11 AM
Fork Horn

I can attest to the reliability of Rons breechplugs as he sent me one of his and it does it all, definetely give it a try. Right before trying the BH 209 was shooting T7 3f and it was cleaner then the pellets but I still had little crud ring and spit swabbed between shots.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:24 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
Well, there you go. Now, finally, the reason for your issues with BH209.

I just dug out a breech plug that i have used in my Accura with 100% reliability igniting BH209 thus far. If you have some BH209 left over, and want to use it up, you can have this breech plug. Give me your address, and i will mail it to you. If you don't like it toss it.
So if i want to use BH209 in my knight disc i have to alter the breech plug? Or is this an accura problem? Or do i just need to spend the money,,,try it ,,,and then go from there? Or do i just keep shooting pyro.select and save my money and heartaches?
Old 10-20-2010, 12:38 PM
Banned

I got Accura shooters all over on my forum, even the new Optima shooters, using either Winchester W209s or CCI 209Ms with no problems.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
I got Accura shooters all over on my forum, even the new Optima shooters, using either Winchester W209s or CCI 209Ms with no problems.
Myself, i also use them primer with absolutely no problem. Also, like yourself, i have modified the breech plug so my shooting is problem free. Apparently the folk having problem with their Accura igniting BH209 don't use a modified breech plug like you do.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

rem700man

So if i want to use BH209 in my knight disc i have to alter the breech plug?
Not necessarily - a FPJ plug with a hot primer will work until the flash channel fills up with a hard carbon.

Or is this an accura problem?
I do not belive the problem is limited to just the Accura. Very few breech plugs were designed to handle the problems assiciated with BH. BUT mpst plugs can be altered to work very well with BH.

Or do i just need to spend the money,,,try it ,,,and then go from there? Or do i just keep shooting pyro.select and save my money and heartaches?
For your Knight - if it is a DISC series I would highly suggest that you try a new Lehigh Breech Plug conversion.

http://www.lehighbullets.com/products.asp?cat=28
Old 10-20-2010, 03:51 PM
kb1
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by rem700man
So if i want to use BH209 in my knight disc i have to alter the breech plug? Or is this an accura problem? Or do i just need to spend the money,,,try it ,,,and then go from there? Or do i just keep shooting pyro.select and save my money and heartaches?
if you have a snug fitting sabot and set it firmly on the powder and use a hot primer(like federal 209a) you'll have no problems.........,karl
Old 10-21-2010, 12:36 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by rem700man
Not sure about your Disc rifle but mine has been 100% reliable with BH209. I have revamped breech plugs for my Accura and new Optima coming from Ron, better safe than sorry!

Last edited by Roger46982; 10-21-2010 at 01:53 AM.