Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Crud Ring Issue Fixed! >

Crud Ring Issue Fixed!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Crud Ring Issue Fixed!

Old 10-16-2010, 04:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default Crud Ring Issue Fixed!

I have been very pleased with the accuracy with my Wolf with 80 grains of T7 and 240 grain XTPs. That being said I have always had a crud ring so bad that I couldn't get off a second round without a spit patch. This year, I decided to switch to the 300 grain, .452, XTPs and Harvester Crushed Rib sabots and 80 grains of T7. I shot it for the first time today and after the first shot, I realized I didn't have to push through a crud ring while running the patch through! Since I was sighting in, I didn't see how many shots I could get away with between swabs, but if I can get at least one, I'm completely content. I really can't say that the new sabot/bullet combo was any easier or harder to get down the barrel, but good bye crud! Any ideas?

Mike
Old 10-16-2010, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

If your gun will shoot it Blackhorn 209 powder leaves absolutely no crud ring and you can shoot all day with out swabbing between shots.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:21 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by SJAdventures
If your gun will shoot it Blackhorn 209 powder leaves absolutely no crud ring and you can shoot all day with out swabbing between shots.
Yes, so I've read. I do plan on trying it when I finish up the T7.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:53 PM
Fork Horn

blackhorn is way overrated... tell me what you think of it after a bunch of hangfires and fail-to-fires. I switched to FFFG triple 7 and kleanbore primers and have absolutely no crud ring, in fact the barrel is almost as clean as with blackhorn and my breech is much cleaner. FYI dont use the Winchester 777 primers, they are dirtier than any primer that I have ever used!
Old 10-16-2010, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by josh...just josh
blackhorn is way overrated... tell me what you think of it after a bunch of hangfires and fail-to-fires.
This is only true if you're using it with equipment which is not designed for it. But heck, even then, my 700ML isn't an "approved" BP design but it works beautifully in it.

That wolf will shoot is wonderfully. You shouldn't have any problems with it.
Old 10-17-2010, 02:49 AM
Typical Buck

X2 I shoot it in every rifle I own with zero problems. Now if the price would come down!
Old 10-17-2010, 06:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you have a marginal condition crud ring may come and go with the weather condition.
It is quite true the the Traditional and the old open breach guns a below the design level of Blackhorn, even so I have made it work reliably in both, the problem I run into is that because it is a progressive powder the pressure is held longer at a lower level than a similar charge of other subs which induces a blow back if the primer is not sealed in, of course there are ways, at least two of handling that to.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:26 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by TNHagies
This is only true if you're using it with equipment which is not designed for it. But heck, even then, my 700ML isn't an "approved" BP design but it works beautifully in it.

That wolf will shoot is wonderfully. You shouldn't have any problems with it.
I've used it in four different rifles, including an Accura that is "designed" for it. I always get hangfires after 6 or 7 shots.....not worth it
Old 10-17-2010, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've used it in four different rifles, including an Accura that is "designed" for it. I always get hangfires after 6 or 7 shots.....not worth it
How is your Accura 'designed'?

Last winter i left my Accura in the truck over night many a time loaded. Sometimes with a 'dirty' breech plug. A few times the temperature was -10* or colder, and never once had a hang fire.

At the time i was playin' around with breech plug 'design'; was curious to see how successful things would be. Shot up a way way too many bottle of BH209. Shot a way too many bullet, and sabot; the good thing is i now suffer no ignition issues with BH209 in my Accura.

Every once in awhile, out of curiosity, i have left the breech plug go uncleaned so long that a 1/16" drill was the largest size that would slide into the flash channel; still no hang fire in the dead of winter, and bitter cold temperatures. Thirty shots without touching the breech plug doesn't lead to hang fire. Standard non-magnum primers work just fine in my rifle.

The issues you describe, simply put, mystify me. Your issues leave me sitting here shaking my head, because i just can't imagine why. Your issues leave me quite puzzled.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

blackhorn is way overrated...
I guess you're right. I guess that's why the stuff sits on the shelves in every store across the country and no one buys it. Probably also why gun manufacturers are making sure all their guns work with it and are proudly advertising that it works in their rifles. Over-rated junk.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.