Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Did something stupid and possibly dangerous.  Brain Fart!! >

Did something stupid and possibly dangerous. Brain Fart!!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Did something stupid and possibly dangerous. Brain Fart!!

Old 10-16-2010, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Did something stupid and possibly dangerous. Brain Fart!!

Last week when I cleaned my T/C Omega, I sent one last patch...wet with CLP (Gunzilla), but not soaking...down the barrel and decided to leave the CLP in the barrel until the next time I shot. I put the ungreased breech plug back in but only turned it with the wrench until I felt it make contact at the end of it's threading. Usually, I hand tighten and then put a little muscle in it using the little leverage bar you stick through the breech plug wrench, but since I knew I was going to have to wipe the CLP out, I DIDN'T EVEN HAND TIGHTEN.

Last night I packed up my stuff in preparation for this morning's range trip, and I completely forgot to wipe the bore and then grease & tighten the breech plug.

I guess I got lucky, because I shot about 30 shots or so today with no problems. I didn't even remember that I had left the plug loose until on the way home from the range! I thought for sure that the plug would be seized, but it was easy to remove. I guess the Gunzilla that undoubtedly gotten into the threading in the bore kept the plug from seizing up.

Anyway, I'm not sure what could happen from having a loose plug, but I'm glad it didn't happen to me. I imagine I could have had some serious blowback, etc. Thankful that my eyes are still in good shape!

Will share range report with pics later. My gun shoots better with a dirty barrel, for sure!
Old 10-16-2010, 10:57 AM
Typical Buck

I am glad you didn't run into any problems. I find it easier for me to finish what I am doing
with a gun ,rather than come back to it later.looking forward to your range report.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Me too. The only thing I'm worried about is how much the tightness of the breech plug affects your POI. This was my LAST range trip before the season starts on 10/30. Since I didn't have any blowback whatsoever, and I didn't have an abnormal amount of crud on my breech plug, I imagine that the plug was as sealed as it was gonna get after the first shot or two.

Looking forward to feedback on the range report! Have to find time to measure the groups, take the pics and type up the report!
Old 10-16-2010, 12:15 PM
Dominant Buck

Same with me.. when I clean a rifle, I put it back together like I was going to take it right back out the door and shoot it. Then all I have to do is alcohol patch the bore protection out.

Glad that nothing happened and you were safe.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

There was nothing dangerous in what you did. The BP was far enough in to allow the gun to operate. All that could happen is perhaps a little increased blow-back. In my opinion, you'd have to leave the BP waaaaay out before it could ever come back at you and cause injury. So far out that the gun would have no chance of being operable.

If it makes you feel better, leave the BP out of the gun after cleaning, and only install it when ready to go to the range or hunting.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Check for flame cutting just to be safe. If it started flame cutting it may be had to stop.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:25 AM
Typical Buck

Some black powder gun manufactures recomend not tightening the breechplug at all.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't go much past contact.....just a firm twist with my fingers which ain't much.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by lemoyne
Check for flame cutting just to be safe. If it started flame cutting it may be had to stop.
Not sure what to look for. My breech plug looked completely normal when I cleaned it.