Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New poster

Old 10-08-2010, 08:54 AM
Spike

Default New poster

Greetings all. I'm just getting started posting on ML sites. I inadvertantly signed on to another site where mentioning those little plastic thingies you put around bullets gets you a mild reprimand. Nice folks over there and I did pick up some usable information, but they're kind of stuck in their ways. Anyway, thankyou "Semisane" for guiding me over to this site. I looked around for a bit before I registered & I think this may be a better fit for my present needs.

A while back I picked up a T/C Hawkins for a very good price. But then, if you get a bullet stuck in a barrel & then remove it by welding a drill bit on the end of a rod and don't stop till you start to break through the breech plug, it kind of spoils the value of your gun. Idiot! Him, not me.
The gun sat around a while till I discovered GM drop ins. I ordered the 50 cal. 1:28" twist because I wanted to shoot sabots. Between using 100 gr. 777 and the fact the gun really didn't fit me, I had real accuracy problems. The first thing I did was get rid of that T/C stock and build me a real nice thumbhole stock from a chunk of cherry I had kicking around my shop, complete with a Limbsaver buttpad. That made it more comfortable to shoot, but still didn't do anything for the accuracy. At least the fellows over at that other site did help me by letting me know I was using way too much 777. I'm not shooting great,yet, but I know I can make a deer dead if the opportunity presents itself in the next few weeks.
When I have more time, I'll come back for more & try to post a few pictures
Old 10-08-2010, 09:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

Moosehuntersupreme

Good to have you here, welcome aboard the roller coaster - it certainly has its ups and downs - but for the most part this is a great forum...

mike
Old 10-08-2010, 09:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

Also Moose, we sure do want to see some pictures of that cherry thumbhole stocked Hawken.

If you want to sell that TC stock, shoot me an email

Old 10-08-2010, 09:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome, and I want to see a picture of that Moose you shoot too.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:50 AM
Banned

"But then, if you get a bullet stuck in a barrel & then remove it by welding a drill bit on the end of a rod and don't stop till you start to break through the breech plug, it kind of spoils the value of your gun."

Holy crap!
Old 10-08-2010, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yea lets see a pick of this beast you built!!!!
Old 10-08-2010, 11:56 AM
Dominant Buck

welcome to the forum.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Welcome to the forum. Don't let the comments bother you we have a couple of people that are immature.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just so you know, in case a bullet finds its way down your new barrel without the benefit of a powder charge beneath it, there are 2 easy ways to remove it. I know it sounds dumb, but it happens to just about everyone eventually.

Easiest may be the bullet worm which screws on the end of a ramrod. Just push against the bullet and turn clockwise until the thing screws into the lead, then pull it out.

The other way is to remove the nipple and push grains of powder into the breech through the flash hole. Takes a few minutes but it doesn't take all that much. Replace nipple, cap and fire at a target a few feet away.

Last edited by UncleNorby; 10-08-2010 at 12:21 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Moosehuntersupreme

Great to have you here! It's a good place to waste some time, laugh at the nonsense and learn things along the way. I would love to see a pic of that custom piece you've made!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.