Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Keep it safe and simple. >

Keep it safe and simple.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Keep it safe and simple.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Keep it safe and simple.

I know there are many people that read these forums that never post. And i also know there are many people that just want to own and have a good reliable muzzleloader and just haven't figured it all out yet.

Muzzleloading can be very simple,safe, and a reliable source to put meat in the freezer. And i also should mention extended hunting seasons in alot of states.

Though there is a ton of great information on these boards, there also comes alot of BS. And for the least experienced ML shooter/hunter it can become very difficult to read thru the BS.

In the last couple years BH209 has been very popular. The problem of BH209 is it wasn't made around the current ML'S being made/sold today. The stuff has created a mess for alot of ML owners. Un reliable ignition, not hot enough primers ect. BH209 did a horrible job marketing the powder and how to use it.

I can tell you for a FACT, you can do anything with 777 that you can do with BH209 with out all the mis-fires and drama. 777 is a great powder and probably the best all purpose ML powder today.

Now if you do some tweaking to your breech plug, Bh209 is just as effective as 777. But, a price comes along with it.

The point i'm getting at is, go and buy a savage, Knight, T/C, White etc, and you will have no issues with ignition at all using 777.

Primers are another big topic. Here again with 777 powder use whatever 209 primer you like. I remember along time ago using 410 primers in the coldest harsh weather i ever hunted in. Here again with 777 powder.

Sabots are another topic. You really only have two players in the market. MMP and Harvester. Either one is fine. Let your ML tell you which one is better for your current ML.

Bullets.....Hell i've killed stuff from the cheapest you can buy to the most exspensive. Here again, other then powerbelts and FTX'S, they all have done the job. Some do better, some dont. At the end of the day, you got your animal and that's what counts.

My reccomended brands that i fully trust. ML, Bullets, Sabots, Powder, Primers.

Muzzleloaders....Savage, T/C, Knight

Bullets....XTP'S,Parker Ballistic Extremes, Lehigh, and Barnes MZ Expanders.

Sabots....MMP and Harvester

Primers.....Federal, Remington, Winchester, CCI

Powder....You just cant go wrong with 777. If you own a Savage , there breach plugs are right out of the box BH209 compatible.

I will say, the Triumph is the best bang for the buck right now. Clean, safe, and very accurate.

My findings above are my findings only. They are what i have found over the years to be very effective in the field. I have no agenda's to meet or asses to kiss. I hunt with the gun i want to hunt with, i hunt with the powder i want to hunt with, and i also hunt with the bullet i want to hunt with. Period

I hope one or two or many guys can benefit from this. This thread is not for the know it all that's for sure.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:09 AM
mountaineer magic

I have to agree. Then again CVA, APP ,Powerbelt, and other companies that offer inferior products primarily prey on individuals that have little or no experience. People believe the hype and don't know any better.. Get some so called expert to promote it and people will buy it. I know from experience. I used APP for 3 years , I used powerbelts for 2 years and I have 2 CVA's. I agree that the top of the line is T/C or Knight with the Savage close behind. 777 is a great powder and so is Blackhorn but I like 777 better. It's hard to outshoot or out perform a Barnes bullet. , So I agree with you on this one. The Devil doesn't like the TRUTH.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'll never put 777 in my muzzleloader again, develped such a crud ring I had to lap with JB Bore paste...

I will buy Pyrodex if it goes on sale for $10 or less a pound...

I am well stocked with Goex FFF as there is a distributor within an hour and a half, this is my preferred powder...Since I have 2 flintlocks, I keep this in stock anyway...

Nothing wrong with using real black powder if it's avaliable, it has the lowest ignition temp of any, so you sill get reliable ignition...Even with a few sparks from a flintlock...

I would add...Keep your charges to 80-110 grs if your muzzleloader is rated for these...Buffalo were killed with a 45/70, which was loaded with a .45 caliber 405gr lead bullet and 70grs of black powder...
Old 10-05-2010, 09:08 AM
Banned

i'll put my inferior products up against anything you know.

Haha, and that included the american pioneer.

And then a factory wolf shooting blackhorn209 without any lehigh add on's

i'd rather use American than that T7 crud ring crap. Ive only bought 2 lbs of T7 and that was back in 2006-2007 when i was shooting a .45

Some offer the advice to ask the Manf. about what you are doing, and when you do and post their response, that person sure still is a puffed up **** and struts around like hes god all mighty. If you cant swallow your pride and accept that the Manf. said No problem! That is some awesome shooting, keep us informed. Then dont recommend someone to ask the Manf. if its ok or not

Thor bullets all the way baby
Old 10-05-2010, 10:03 AM
mountaineer magic

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
i'll put my inferior products up against anything you know.

Haha, and that included the american pioneer.

And then a factory wolf shooting blackhorn209 without any lehigh add on's
Ok I'll take you upon the challenge. We live close enough that we should be able to arrange a simple competition in person. I live in South Dakota and you in Colorado. We need to work out a way to meet or a place to meet. Any choice of guns powder,bullets etc..Once we can work out all the details then we should get a date set.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Now this is going to be fun!
Old 10-05-2010, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wish I could be there for this one.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

Old 10-05-2010, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
Now this is going to be fun!

Actually, MD is very sad. I thought at one time it was because he was a young kid. After getting some emails about what he posted on another forum????? He's really hurting the forum, the people, and the tradition. He's actually a ticking time bomb waiting to explode.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:03 PM
sup
Spike

Semi your a HOOT, I bet there's never a dull moment in your house.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.