Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Knight disc or Extreme >

Knight disc or Extreme

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Knight disc or Extreme

Old 10-02-2010, 03:58 PM
Spike

Default Knight disc or Extreme

What is the difference between a Knight disc and the extreme? Would a extreme conversion kit in a standard disc rifle be the same as the extreme or are there other differences? Which would be the best way to go?
Thanks
Old 10-02-2010, 04:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

zeek99

Knight Original DISC, Knight DISC Extreme, Knight DISC Elite, Knight Master Hunter, Knight Master Hunter MHC, Knight Long Range Hunter...

I think that is about the progression if of the Knight DISC line.

The Original DISC is the beginning and normally using an Orange DISC. It also has a different shaped stock than does the next generation Extreme which uses the more current red DISC. The Knight DISC Elite - is basically the same rifle as the Extreme other than it has a special recoil lug - 'cantilever' lug to help float the barrel. It also has a slimmed down barrel and does not have open sites.

It is generally believed that the Elite offers better accuracy - that is not necessarily always true, as a Extreme that has been properly fitted to the stock can be just as accurate.

Would a extreme conversion kit in a standard disc rifle be the same as the extreme or are there other differences?
The conversion kit in a DISC original would make it very near a DISC Extreme. The stock remains the large difference.

Which would be the best way to go?
Since I prefer the Extreme/Elite stock - I would suggest getting one of those two...

Problem - it is getting harder and harder to find Extreme's and Elite's. Also it might be hard to find the conversion kits...
Old 10-02-2010, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Also I am pretty sure the original disc had a 24 inch barrel.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by flounder33
Also I am pretty sure the original disc had a 24 inch barrel.
Mine has a 22...
Old 10-02-2010, 05:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

flounder33

You are right I forgot about that one.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:01 PM
Spike

Would a extreme conversion kit in a standard disc rifle be the same as the extreme or are there other differences?
the conversion kit changes you from the orange DISC to the red plastic jacket, new bolt assembly and breech plug...so you end up with basically the extreme, except for the quick release bolt retaining screw.

if your thinking about converting to extreme already, just go with the extreme. i just checked knight's website, they have the conversion kits at $125
Old 12-11-2011, 09:57 AM
Spike

Can anyone help me out here?

I'm want a new stock for my ORIGINAL disc (it uses the orange holders), and although it has been said on this thread that there ARE changes to the stock on the extreme and elite. However, these changes don't rule out the possibility that the stocks will interchange, at least between the original and the extreme (if not on the elite with the different recoil lug), i.e. does not rule out that the relevant inletting is still the same between the original and extreme, such that they can interchange, even if not identical externally.

So are the original and extreme interchangeable? Will the action of one fit in the other and vice versa? I can't find any stocks by themselves for EITHER, but I CAN order either one in a full rifle, and just discard (or try to re-sell) the action/barrel. But since I'm looking for the best price, to get the stock only, I need to know whether I can expand my search to new full rifles beyond merely originals, and add extremes, which more or less doubles my options for trying to get the best price.

No one has for sale a laminated wood RH thumbhole stock for the original disc, do they? Or a full rifle? Or know where I can buy just the stock, or a full rifle with the stock I want? I've looked everywhere it seems. Even freakin Natchez mailed me a catalog showing they had the full rifle, but I get online and it shows the plastic thumbhole stock rifles only, not wood as shown in the clearance catalog.

Is Knight's back in business now or not? I called and called them and could never get a person, so I left a message. They didn't call back, so I emailed them with these questions about trying to buy just a stock - whether they had any. Their response via email? Yep, "call us on the phone and we'll tell you." Oy vey. Well at least they emailed me back, which is more than I can say for a lot of companies - just wish they would have said, yep we can sell you a stock only, or no we cant, so I'd know whether or not its worth it to keep calling a few dozen times to actually get them on the phone to place order. Their website does NOT have a way to order the stock only on the disc extreme, even though it does imply that they would have them (since they sell the whole rifle), and since I've now learned (below - this is an edit) that the extreme will work for my needs!

Any help would be much, much appreciated. I hate plastic, and that's the stock I have now. I've already customized my barrel to a lean and mean 19.5", so I really don't want to pay for a whole rifle if I don't have to, just to get the stock I want, but I certainly will if necessary, albeit shop for the lowest possible price. I don't care what color of laminating, but I want the RH wood thumbhole.

If I *DO* end up having to buy the whole rifle just to get the stock I want, it doesn't matter a great deal what kind of rifle it is, but ceteris paribus, I'ddruther have stainless or nickel over blued, and druther have .45 over .50 or .52.

Thanks again.

Edit: What I mean is, I know they were in business a few months back when I called them, but their website is so static, I can't help but wonder if they're on-again, off-again in figuring out whether they're really a going concern or not.

Last edited by Unlicensed Dremel; 12-11-2011 at 10:14 AM.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:04 AM
Dominant Buck

I have an original disc that is converted. It works great. And yes the barrel is shorter then the Extreme or the Elite. As for the stock, I would not trade off that original disc stock for anything. It fits me. I really like the way I can get behind the rifle on it.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Unlicensed Dremel
Can anyone help me out here?

I'm want a new stock for my ORIGINAL disc (it uses the orange holders), and although it has been said on this thread that there ARE changes to the stock on the extreme and elite. However, these changes don't rule out the possibility that the stocks will interchange, at least between the original and the extreme (if not on the elite with the different recoil lug), i.e. does not rule out that the relevant inletting is still the same between the original and extreme, such that they can interchange, even if not identical externally.
And original DISC and a DISC Extreme stock will interchange... With that said I have a extra black composite Original DISC stock that i would like to sell.

So are the original and extreme interchangeable? Will the action of one fit in the other and vice versa? I can't find any stocks by themselves for EITHER, but I CAN order either one in a full rifle, and just discard the action/barrel. But since I'm looking for the best price, to get the stock only, I need to know whether I can expand my search to new full rifles beyond merely originals, and add extremes, which more or less doubles my options for trying to get the best price.

No one has for sale a laminated wood RH thumbhole stock for the original disc, do they? Or a full rifle?

Is Knight's back in business now or not? I called and called them and could never get a person, so I left a message. They didn't call back, so I emailed them with these questions about trying to buy just a stock - whether they had any. Their response via email? Yep, "call us on the phone and we'll tell you." Oy vey.
Yes they are up and running, but they go home early in Tennessee

Any help would be much, much appreciated. I hate plastic, and that's the stock I have now. I've already customized my barrel to a lean and mean 19.5", so I really don't want to pay for a whole rifle if I don't have to, just to get the stock I want, but I certainly will if necessary, albeit shop for the lowest possible price. I don't care what color of laminating, but I want the RH wood thumbhole.
Well that rules out my stock...

If I *DO* end up having to buy the whole rifle just to get the stock I want, it doesn't matter a great deal what kind of rifle it is, but ceteris paribus, I'ddruther have stainless or nickel over blued, and druther have .45 over .50 or .52.

Thanks again.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:08 AM
Spike

Ok, fantastic; thanks sabotleader and cayugad! You guys are all right - I don't care what the other forums say about ya.

Now, next question becomes - where's a smokin deal on complete wood stocked rifles of either variety - extreme or original, if ya know?

Also, so I am to infer your post, cayugad, that the LOP is longer on the extreme than the original? If so, perhaps notsogood, as I am only 5'8" with arms to match, and like short LOPs to work with a lot of winter gear (I'm moving up north soon). IIRC, closer to 13 or 13.5 works better for me for hunting than closer to 14 or more.

Still, I'd rather have a longer LOP wood thumbhole stock than this plastic non-thumbhole. It's good for foul weather, but life is way too short to shoot ugly guns.

EDIT: This is NOT good - the only thumbhole stocks that the Knight's site shows for new rifles are plastic ones and the wood ones are only shown in non-thumbhole/standard - did they quit making them? Ahhhhhhh! Better move quickly to look for used or old stock!!!!!

http://www.knightrifles.com/disc-extreme-muzzleloaders/

And don't get me wrong - I'm keeping the original stock too... doubt it would sell anywhere anyway for more than it would cost me in time to try to sell it. I will say that *as plastic stocks go* on rifles, this black one is might sturdy and nice, relatively speaking - better than most - bordering on the sturdiness of a fiberglass or other compostite - the shape/aesthetics are much better than most as well. This is the best plastic stock I've ever owned, but that's like saying the current mice infestation in my house is the most agreeable I've ever had.

Last edited by Unlicensed Dremel; 12-11-2011 at 10:34 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.