Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

South Ga Piggies

Old 09-26-2010, 06:36 PM
Spike

Default South Ga Piggies

Me and a friend were hunting a public hunting area in south Georgia known to hold a few piggies this past weekend. As soon as we parked and got out of the truck we heard pigs right away and put on the stalk. We caught up to the hogs a few hundred yards out and found 3 separate groups of hogs feeding. I was using a Knight Extreme and shot a boar (roughly 130 pounds) with 95 grains of loose 777, harvester crush rib sabot, and 300 grain speer gold dot .452 bullet at about 70 yards. The bullet punched right through the tough shoulder shield and exited the other side. The hog made it about 40 yards. While we were field dressing that one a sow of about 85 pounds came out and my buddy shot her at about 30 yards with his encore loaded with 120 grains of loose 777 and a bullet called a blackbelt that was new to me (very similar looking to a powerbelt). His pig was drt. It was a great first hunt of the year.
Attached Thumbnails South Ga Piggies-pigs.jpg  
Old 09-26-2010, 07:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Question: Where's the best place to shoot a hog? Answer: Close to the truck.

Good report Smokeblower. I've got a big old boar running around one of my food plots. Sure hope I get a crack at him, but am not going to bother until the daytime highs get below the mid-80's. It's too darn hot to be dragging and skinning hogs.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:15 PM
Dominant Buck

Congratulations on a successful hog hunt. Looks like some good eating.

Semisane.. this morning we had a good hard frost. It was 29º and our daytime high almost hit 60º today. Just real nice weather.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

It was 87* at ten o'clock this morning when I started my first range session with the .32 Pedersoli. Quit after only 28 shots after deciding to wait for a cool front expected next week.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats on the nice porkers.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like fun and some good eatin'! Congrats
Old 09-27-2010, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice looking porkers, I sure wish the porkers on my place would show themselves in the daylight. They seem only to move at night.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

I sure wish the porkers on my place would show themselves in the daylight. They seem only to move at night.
That's my problem also Greg. Especially in the summer and early fall. Come December and January we begin to see them in the daytime now and then, but not often.