Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Renegade

Old 09-26-2010, 03:31 PM
Typical Buck

Default Renegade

As all of you know I bought a TC Renegade and had to do some inleting to make the GM barrel work. I need to touch up the finish on the stock. Would anybody know what stain and coating that I need to use to blend in with the rest of the org. finish on the rifle? Or would I better if I just refinished the whole stock? Thanks guys. I was going to have my uncle help me with it, but a accident happened and it doesn't look like he will be able to.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well if you worked on the inlet it should be on the inside of the barrel channel. If it is on the inside just use tru oil to finish it and you should be goodd to go, that is what I have done. What did you have to alter to get it to fit? Ron
Old 09-27-2010, 04:23 PM
Typical Buck

Oh the stock wasnt wide enough to fit the gm barrel. I did have to do the outside alittle where the rod goes in. So I was wondering what stain that I needed.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have never stained them. I just tru oiled them. If it is a small fix try the tru oil and if you need to add stain you can do it again. I wonder why the barrel would not fit. I know the under rib is too long on them to fit. I have heard of guys cutting the under rib. I used a file and just dressed it up until it fit then tru oiled it. Does your hammer strike the nipple right since you put the GM barrel on? Ron
Old 09-27-2010, 05:46 PM
Typical Buck

Yeah, from what I can tell it strikes it dead on. I guess I will find out when I shoot it. I'll try that Tru oil sometime this week. Thanks for the information.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well you can take the under rib off and cut it or file it. I would not shoot it until you relieved the wood to metal fit. You could split the end of the stock by forcing it. Ron
Old 09-28-2010, 05:54 PM
Typical Buck

Instead of cutting or file'n the under rib I took some of the stock off so that it wouldnt touch. That is the part of the outer stock that I need to touch up. But from what I can tell I shouldn't have any problems.