Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
10 Questions from a new Blackpowder Owner >

10 Questions from a new Blackpowder Owner

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

10 Questions from a new Blackpowder Owner

Old 09-27-2010, 04:12 AM
Typical Buck

I am no expert so take my advice for what it is. Most here will tell you to use powder and not pellets. The pellets are more expensive but I use them anyway. They are convenient and to me are less risk to draw moisture. I load my Knight at the start of the season and I don't unload it until I shoot a deer or the season ends. So that is about 2 months it may sit loaded. When I shoot it to unload it, it shoots like the day it was loaded. So if you are like me and more of a hunter than a target shooter, I say pellets are fine. If you read my post from the weekend, you can follow the progression of me sighting in my new scope on my Knight and you will see that the gun is very consistent putting shots touching during the same trip to the range and even different trips. http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/blac...er-season.html

Interesting to hear people don't like bore butter as that is what I have been using. I don't understand the moisture comment someone made. If you clean the gun first why would there be moisture in the barrel?

The gun shouldn't be too hard to clean if you run a patch through it between shots at the range. I use TC #13 cleaner like you and run a wet patch through the barrel after each shot. I turn the patch inside out and run it again. I then do the same with a dry patch, run it through once, turn it inside out and run it through again. When I clean it after I get home, it only takes a couple patches to clean. I then follow up with bore butter.

Most of all have fun, these guns are very fun. I am tempted, now that I have scoped my gun, to carry it even during rifle season until I get a deer with it. My father-in-law got two deer with his last year at 90+ yards so these modern inline guns are nearly as good as a modern rifle.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:07 PM
Fork Horn

I agree out to 150 yards there as good as a centerfire rifle.