Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Did Some Shooting on Friday... >

Did Some Shooting on Friday...

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Did Some Shooting on Friday...

Old 09-23-2010, 12:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Did Some Shooting on Friday...

Some may remember, I bought a Blackhawk 50th Anniversary .44 Mag earlier this summer and added killing a deer with a pistol to my Bucket List...

I found out the importance of good grips on a pistol...The plastic, checkered grips that came with the gun tore up your palms after a few shots...They were also too narrow for good comtrol...

I did some online research and found Private's Custom Grips...I ordered a set of Birds Eye Maple and put them on...The difference was unbelievable in both feel and in my groups...

Here is a before and after on the gun...

My groups Friday with 3 different brands ammo...American Eagle 240gr hollow points and Magtec and Winchester 240gr soft points...The range was 25 yards and I used a 6 o'clock hold...

I've already moved the sights one click to the left and have a box of Hornady, 240gr XTPs that I want to try as well...
Old 09-23-2010, 12:09 PM
Dominant Buck

beautiful set of grips there. I have a red hawk in the same caliber. Those are a lot of fun to shoot. And I have taken a couple deer with mine and they do a real good job. I also shoot the 240 grain.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:40 PM
Banned

wow those grips do look awesome
Old 09-23-2010, 01:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Old 09-23-2010, 05:17 PM
Typical Buck

Hawkeye
That is one Purty shootin iron.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:57 PM
Spike

Thats a nice looking gun,,good luck with it this year,,I used to own a super blackhawk,,killed 4 deer with it,also got 2 with my desert eagle in 357 and 5 with a TC contender 7/30 waters with a scope on it,,fun shooting deer with different things,,thats why I just brought a Tack 10 crossbow and put my lower from my rock river ar15 on it,,work has kept me out of the woods,,but going this weekend, hunting with my crossbow and my muzzleloader on Mon and Tues,,,I have to beat my older brother to our farms and get one before he carrys one across a bridge I built,,lol
Old 09-30-2010, 04:35 AM
Typical Buck

I aslo added this to my B/P collection
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3..._2101458-1.jpg
I have had it out and I can tell you at 20 yards with a heavy charg and R/B keep a nice 2" group
I think maybe in the late m/l season I may try in on whitetail with a charge of 42. Gr. triple 777
nchawkeye: good luck with it looks sharp
Old 10-10-2010, 12:13 PM
Spike

Ut oh,,I may be in trouble,,I hunted with cross bow on a ridge on family farms,,and saw 7 deer,,but no shot,,now my brother is heading there this week for muzzleloader ,,so he may be the 1st across the bridge with a buck,,,so does that mean he gets to name the bridge? LOL Good luck hunting this week