Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
New Breech Plug for an Old Accura >

New Breech Plug for an Old Accura

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New Breech Plug for an Old Accura

Old 09-18-2010, 03:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default New Breech Plug for an Old Accura

Since i had a new breech plug for the old Accura, i decided to head for the hills and shoot, but it was rainy and cold, so i decided not to because it would be muddy and cold up there, but then i decided to go anyway. Needed the windshield wipers on during the 17 mile trip up to where i wanted to shoot. When i left the paved road i noticed that it hadn't rained enough to keep from throwing up a little dust on the dirt road.

Note that the new Accura plug resembles the Omega plug. The flash hole of the three plugs were measured very very carefully today, and the measurement showed the new plug with a flash hole of 0.028", the Omega plug with a flash hole of 0.029", and the standard Accura plug had a flash hole of 0.30". The new plug has a flash channel of 1/8" diameter. It was 38* when i left the house, and it was misty and cold in the hills.

Fifteen shots were fired at the target which was a piece of typing paper placed at near 99 yard. The shots were taken standing using a bipod, and no pause was taken to allow the barrel to cool. The warmth of the barrel felt real good to my hands, but it wasn't really enough to warm me. The rifle was reloaded and fired without hurry, but also without much pause. The load was 105g BH209 ignited instantly by STS primer pushing a 300g xtp in a short black Harvester sabot.

The head space of the breech plug was such that the STS primer were 'crushed' maybe 0.005", and this seemed to make for no blow back, judging by the picture of the breech area of the rifle after the shoot.

When i finished shooting it was 43*, and this was cool enough the barrel never got hot; just luke warm. Upon arrival at the house i removed the breech plug and kinda arranged the primers from first to last left to right.

Old 09-18-2010, 06:02 PM
Dominant Buck

That is darn good shooting for a peep sight off a bipod at that distance. Also that is a good strong load. Very nice shooting.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:27 AM
Fork Horn

Ron where did you get the new plug, or did you turn it down yourself.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

gman57

It started out as a 5/8" x 18 grade 8 bolt. You can have it if you want it.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:14 PM
Fork Horn

sent you my address thanks Ron
Old 09-21-2010, 03:39 AM
Fork Horn

Ron, Great job on the plug and good shooting. Making your own plugs becomes addictive doesn't it. :-)

Ken

Central NY
Old 09-21-2010, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Screwbolts
............................Making your own plugs becomes addictive doesn't it. :-)

Ken
Central NY
Yes, it does. I want to write it is all your fault, but that is only mostly true.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:53 PM
Fork Horn

I like the way you think. :-)