Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Next ML up

Old 09-05-2010, 10:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Next ML up

With all the talk about Knight, TC, CVA, Savage - I was sitting here thinkingthis morning what gun should I shoot this week in the pit?

I have some more test bullets from Lehigh showing up this week, 50 cal sabotless, and need to run them through a bore. I gave it a little thought, then decided I have not shot the Omega in ages... I am totally biased, I admit that right off the top, but I think the Omega is one of the best guns TC ever offered. I truly do like it even better than my Triumph.

I long ago installed a 25 ACP breech that I made on the drill press. That really cleaned up the breech area. I use both CCI-400 and CCI-450 primers in the 25 acp cases. The 450 work very well with BH and with a Lehigh Vent liner installed there is no contest.

The gun has always shot lights out and I enjoy shooting it a bunch. I hunted with it a few years - took a few animals with it - but i could just never get real comfortable with the need to pull the hammer back before I could get a shot off. I am so locked into a thumb safety am exposed hammer gun has always been a mental problem with me, even going all the way back to when I was little kid hunting with a Winchester Model 94 30-30 (which I still have).

Shouldering this Omega with the Bushnell Elite 3200 is an auto-reflex for me still today when I tried it - it is just a comfortable gun.

Another thing I want to try is some .458/275 and 300 grain Lehigh's from it. It is sighted in for a .451/260 grain Nosler Partition - so I am thinking I should be very close with both bullets.

The big Question is whether the new 50 cal sabotless will fit? I will say - we?, but it really is Dave's project, but anyway I believe the way Dave is building these they might be universal across a wide range of 50 cal ML bores - excluding the the bigger Knight and White .504 bores - but I do not even want to rule them out yet.

I am supposed to get Revison 2 of the 45 sabotless also but they will have to wait for another day. I really do just want to shoot one of TC's finest...

Here is a picture of my good buddy...

And it must be a pretty good gun - I think CVA copied it twice?
Old 09-05-2010, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

The point about whether the sabotless bullets would fit your Omega reminds me of something I was going to ask you. Do you think the Lehigh bullets will be offered in more than one diameter?
Art
Oh, and that is a beautiful looking Omega, I haven't seen it in a while.

I just reread your post, It looks like they will be a one size fits all.

Last edited by flounder33; 09-05-2010 at 12:46 PM.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flounder33

I just reread your post, It looks like they will be a one size fits all.
That would be the goal, but i think it's going to be a tall order.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mike,
I can tell you have neglected the Omega as of late. That thing needs a nice camo dip on that thumb hole stock.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

flounder33

I have to tell you - one size fits most is my goal - not necessarily Dave's.

Once he has a proven bullet and if it becomes necessay I would think he would produce more than one size especially if the demand is there... That is always the driving force - DEMAND... oh! I guess to be politically correct you are suppose 'market' is there.

One of the reasons I like the Omega is that it is a such simple clean design... nothing complicated about it... It really qualifies as a plane Jane and I am a plane Jane type of guy.

Last edited by sabotloader; 09-05-2010 at 01:48 PM.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:03 PM
Typical Buck

Sabotloader
Why do you have the Omega ranked above the Triumph? I have My ProHunter ranked above both my Triumphs. If T/C would go with a SS barrel with the Triumph that would change my mind. Why wouldn't T/C offer a SS option?
Old 09-05-2010, 03:07 PM
Banned

because they can sell the coated barrel for the same price of the real SS.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by jaybez101099
Sabotloader
Why do you have the Omega ranked above the Triumph? I have My ProHunter ranked above both my Triumphs. If T/C would go with a SS barrel with the Triumph that would change my mind. Why wouldn't T/C offer a SS option?
The biggest reason I am not a break open fan... they are good for shotguns but for rifles I prefer the one piece stock and action and barrel. Heck I do not even trust my Warne QD rings and bases.... the scope never comes off during hunting season.

I would love to have a real SS Triumph, wish they had that option. But it is all in the price of doing busines and being competitive. SS barrels cost money, significant enough to raise the price greater than it is now. And let's face it way more low end ML's are sold than upper end. And the odd part they still offer a SS Omega.

Another thing I think Dave educated me on... you can not believe how many different types and qualities of Stainless Steel there are even in the weapons grade. We just read stainless and assume the best but really not many tell us which grade of stainless we have. Doc White use to, because he was pretty darn proud of the quality of stainless he used.

Just my thoughts... others go the opposite direction and you know what that is just fine and dandy... it would really be a boring place if we all did the same thing....

Last edited by sabotloader; 09-05-2010 at 04:12 PM.
Old 09-05-2010, 04:07 PM
Dominant Buck

I was enjoying the part about.. it being hard to pick one of the rifles from your collection to shoot.

That Omega is a fine looking rifle.
Old 09-05-2010, 04:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

I KNEW you would know exactly what i was talking about... but I also know that you are far more experinced with this problem than I normally am... but I am trying to catch up...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.