Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Thompson Center Hawken 45 cal. -  Help! >

Thompson Center Hawken 45 cal. - Help!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Thompson Center Hawken 45 cal. - Help!

Old 08-30-2010, 04:20 AM
Spike

Now that I've got a better idea of what I need, time to start finding it so I can put a few shots through this before it gets too late!

thanks again for all the great advice.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:05 AM
Spike

does anyone have anything they'd be willing to sell to help me get started. All I have is the gun... I'm looking for:
.45cal bullets
the little bullet starter
any patches
primer caps

thanks!
Old 09-01-2010, 07:08 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by LL Outdoors
does anyone have anything they'd be willing to sell to help me get started. All I have is the gun... I'm looking for:
.45cal bullets
the little bullet starter
any patches
primer caps

thanks!
primer caps can not be mailed to you without a hazmat fee. Same as powder.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

To get started with the least hassle, I recommend the maxiballs. Sometimes it takes a while to come up with the correct patch/ball/charge. So the maxiball will take one variable out of the equation. The maxiballs will kill deer just like the roundball.

I never used a starter with maxiballs. I could push them in nearly flush with the muzzle with fingers and then finish with the ramrod. Maxiballs will stick a little, just as the most forward band gets to the muzzle. This is normal and part of the bullet's design.

If you go with pyrodex p (a very good powder) be sure to seat the bullet onto the powder and apply some pressure. You will feel the powder compress, maybe an eighth of an inch or so. Pyrodex likes to be compressed. Once you settle on an accurate charge you can mark your rod on a compressed charge as a reference point.

When you shoot a deer, no matter what it does, the first rule of muzzleloading is........RELOAD!!

Have fun with your new gun.