Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Cold Blue

Old 08-24-2010, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Cold Blue

I have got a blued rifle that had some corrosion in the reciever when I got it, udderwise its in pretty good shape. I am thinking of using some fine sandpaper and sanding that part smooth and using some cold blue. Do any of you guys got any recommendations for a cold blue product? I have tried cold bluing in the past and didn't seem to get a very deep bluing.
Art
Old 08-25-2010, 02:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

i havent tried this but looks better than cold blue http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNrX9LFzjUU
Old 08-25-2010, 05:17 AM
mountaineer magic

Originally Posted by flounder33
I have got a blued rifle that had some corrosion in the reciever when I got it, udderwise its in pretty good shape. I am thinking of using some fine sandpaper and sanding that part smooth and using some cold blue. Do any of you guys got any recommendations for a cold blue product? I have tried cold bluing in the past and didn't seem to get a very deep bluing.
Art
I've used Oxpho blue and it did a great job. I applied it 3 times and it got darker each time. I've even used it on knife blades. It seems to wear pretty good. For me it was quick easy and did a good job