Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
LRH vs. Omega:  Final cut >

LRH vs. Omega: Final cut

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

LRH vs. Omega: Final cut

Old 08-14-2010, 10:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default LRH vs. Omega: Final cut

Well, took both my Knight Long range hunter and my T/C Omega out today. Had not shot my LRH much since I got the replacement breech plug from Lehigh. Had to make a decision whether or not to take it or my Omega as my top gun for my Colorado Elk hunt.

Both guns are Stainless steel and both shoot best with 95 gr. of BH 209 and a 350 gr Hornady FPB bullet.

Ease of loading: Advantage Omega. There is no denying that the QLA makes loading easier.

Trigger: Advantage LRH. Adjustable, set at between 2-1/2 to 3 lbs. No creep, crisp.

Weight/balance: Advantage LRH. Not what most people think though. My LRH is actually heavier, but it seems better balanced (not so front heavy) and I actually like the extra weight for a muzzleloader.

Accuracy: Advantage LRH. Both guns shoot 3-4 inches at 100 yards with open sights, but the Omega seems to have more fliers. With the LRH I can put 9/10 shots in a 4 inch circle at 100. With the Omega, that drops to about 7/10.

The last 3 shot group I shot today was 2" with the LRH

Game, set, and match to the LRH. I will however, have the Omega as my backup gun.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:38 AM
Fork Horn

txhunter

For next years elk hunt you can buy my .52 LRH and really put the smack on a nice bull. lol

Good luck.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Tempting, but I like being able to use the same bullet in both guns.

4 weeks from today!
Old 08-14-2010, 03:09 PM
Dominant Buck

Good luck on your hunt. Both would be good choices, but its what you feel is your best bet. Sounds like you did your homework. Shoot a big one.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:15 PM
mountaineer magic

Originally Posted by klundin2000
txhunter

For next years elk hunt you can buy my .52 LRH and really put the smack on a nice bull. lol

Good luck.
I would be interested in a .52 but I would have to have a life time supply of sabots first.

Old 08-14-2010, 05:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by txhunter58
Weight/balance: Advantage LRH. Not what most people think though. My LRH is actually heavier, but it seems better balanced (not so front heavy) and I actually like the extra weight for a muzzleloader.
txhunter58,

My Win Apex was front heavy also. The balance now is right in front of the trigger guard (per lee's recommendation). But the rifle is now heavier by about 1 3/4 lbs but in the same way you describe the LRH, it feels less heavy when shouldered.

I drew a cow for 62. Good luck to you and your party.