Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
What makes a rifle most accurate >

What makes a rifle most accurate

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What makes a rifle most accurate

Old 08-08-2010, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Why is my Accura so accurate? Is it the barrel? Is it the name? It sure as heck isn't me. Cost wasn't much. It has to be one of the least pretty rifles i have ever seen. Most every thing about it kinda seems cheezy. It sure shoots straight.

Now, my Triumph is pretty. It shoots straight. My Omegas shoot pretty good too. With their wood stocks, they have a nice look.

If it isn't the 'name' that makes a straight shooting rifle, i am thinkin' it is the barrel.

Perhaps some manufacture should try makin' and sellin' a rifle called the 'strait shooter', and see if it shoots as good as the Accura. Gosh the Accura is an ugly rifle!!

Put a good barrel on a rifle, and it will, no doubt, shoot straight, 'i think'.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

In muzzle loading there are a lot of variables if most people were as consistent in the way they load as they think they are there would be a whole lot more minute of angle groups. Some people try thinks erratically and change more than one thing at a time; if they ever find the best load for a rifle its an accident. There are some people that can take a rifle capable of 1/2 minute of angle groups and not get any better than 3 inches. SO while I know there is some guns around that are not capable of really decent accuracy, most of the time its the shooter, you can tell most of the really horrible guns by the awful trigger pull.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:44 PM
Spike

Never seen anyone say trigger. I don't care how good your barrel is, if you have an 8# trigger, it just isn't going to be consistent like a 3# trigger will.

My order would be barrel/rifling/crown #1, trigger #2, solid lock-up #3, good stock fit #4.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by badbowbender2
Never seen anyone say trigger. I don't care how good your barrel is, if you have an 8# trigger, it just isn't going to be consistent like a 3# trigger will.

My order would be barrel/rifling/crown #1, trigger #2, solid lock-up #3, good stock fit #4.
Yup, a good trigger is so very very important.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:54 AM
Fork Horn

Concentricity at the muzzle, it's the first and last rifling the projectile sees.

Bedding, the action and barrel remain or return to the same alignment shot after shot.

Lock time, the less time from sear release to projectile leaving the bbl the less time the shooter has to maintain aim.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by MLKeith
Probably in my opinion the order of importance:#1 Barrel to stock fit,#2 Barrel crown quality,#3 rifling consistency from end to end. After that it is up to the shooter. Again, this is Just My Opinion.
All of the above, plus the powder! I honestly think that using black powder, for me, is the most accurate factor in all my experiences. I think I have fired all the subs and now have this opinion.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

#1: Barrel quality.

#2: Bedding of barrel and action.

#3. Optics or quality of sights.

#4: Trigger.

#5. Proper loading procedure-100% consistency in loading(but this is not attributable to the actual rifle).

Tom.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:04 PM
Typical Buck

I think quality from end to end helps a lot with consistency. From my experience (not very much) and reading about everyone Else's experiences I believe finding and shooting the right load for that gun is the key. I was ready to get rid of my Omega when the FPB's came out. I had decided that the FPB's were going to be the last bullets I try in it and if they don't work out, it's gone. It does shoot sabot well but I can't hunt with sabots in Colorado.

Well, after finding what it likes which is FPB's, 85gr. BH209, and STS primers, I'll never get rid of that gun unless Hornady quits selling FPB's or BH is no longer available.