Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Sincere apologies

Old 08-05-2010, 05:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Sincere apologies

Guys - I have been incredibily busy the last couple months with work, around the house (mine and my son's and daughters), and just about everything else you can imagine. And I hate all this heat/humidity.
And to be honest, I have been doing a lot of tinkering with my other passion (archery). The season will be here before I know it. I really want to do some more work with my .32 for the upcoming fall squirrel and turkey seasons. But from exp. I've found that BP and humidity are mortal enemies. Hopefully it will cool down some so I can work out any bugs and find its sweet spot.
In the mean time all of you take care and shoot straight. God bless all my BP friends I have made on this forum.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:34 PM
Dominant Buck

Well don't feel bad. Things happen. Sometime not for the good.

I have been slacking off from shooting also. I had a tornado hit my place on the 27th of July. Needless to say, I have not fired a shot since then. You should have seen the Giant Spruce tree that missed the garage and my Silverado.

I have all the trees off the buildings and nothing damaged too much there. Also I have cut up and piled firewood from the front yard where I cleaned up about ten trees. Still have to split all the wood from that. So I still have the backyard to do. I did cut out the shooting range today in case I need a black powder fix. After that it is head into the woods where my popular grove came down. Lots of cutting and hauling there.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

Wow Dave, sorry about the bad luck with the storm. Sure glad most of the damage was limited to trees. If it had hit your house we'd be picking up guns all the way down here in Louisiana.

Sounds like you're getting your exercise. Gonna be in great shape for the hunting season.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Been kinda` missing you Bronko, and wondering about that .32. I know what you mean about the heat. I went to our hunting lease the last two week-ends with the intention of doing a little food plot work in the morning and shooting in the evening. But after a few hours on the tractor I was so beat I just didn't feel like shooting. Old, fat, out of shape guys SHOULD NOT work outdoors in the summer.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know what you fellers talk about being to hot to shoot. Its been over 100 here the last few days and Ive been wanting to do some shooting, but just cant make myself get out and do any. This has been a real hot summer so far, several days we hit above 100 with high humidity.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sorry about your bad luck Dave. Its to bad at times like these that we are spread out to far to help. Lee
Old 08-06-2010, 05:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Glad your home and buildings were spared Dave. Don't over do it working in the heat.

Art
Old 08-06-2010, 07:37 AM
Dominant Buck

Its slow going, and so am I, but I am getting it all cleaned up.

the wood working shop caught a couple of trees but only a little shingle problem on one corner. I already have that all cut off and fixed. I left one for logs as it was a black cherry that hit, and my logger friend has his own mill so he wanted to cut cherry wood boards out of it. So I trimmed it all down, and he should get three good logs off it. I had no problem with that as it make moderate good firewood is all. As they say, if it makes smoke, it makes heat. But I would rather see the cherry boards.

the driveway had a monster spruce tree that fell. (that picture does not show all of it) It missed the garage by ten feet. It took me about four hours to cut that out enough so I could get my truck out of the garage. Also we were without power for 52 hours, but again.. been there many times. That's all moved out and cleaned up now. Other then having the stump rolled.

there is a wood shed somewhere back in that. It got hit by about four trees, but is still standing. But that too is all cut out, brushed, firewood cut and hauled, so the wood shed if free again.

That is my poplar grove. As you can see they were all torn up by the roots. And then they were all tied up at the tops. So a logger friend of mine came over and he cut them down to the ground as these are the ones that will kill you if you monkey with them and don't know what you're doing. I was going to cut them off myself, but since he offered and is far better at this stuff then I, (which I think is why he offered to come help) I was more then willing to accept his help.

that balsam tree in the front yard was ripped out also and hit the house. But no real damage I could see. Just the top hit, and they flex pretty good. So the house was spared. That's gone, the stump pulled and moved to the brush pile already. I still have a large hole to fill in with some dirt.

The night of the storm I could see the tree tops drawing circles in the sky and then suddenly get torn out. Also I heard what I thought was thunder that would not stop. It sounded like a freight train, pass over the house. That was when all of the trees came crashing down. About that time, my cell rings and its my Dad. And he's telling me there is a tornado heading towards my area, a little north of where I live. I then told him.. no I think its a little south of that, because its here.

It was an exciting night. I've been cutting for a week now. Lots of firewood to split up again. And a whole new look to the yard and the woods around the house. Thanks for all your concern! I will be shooting soon. Even if I have to take a day or two off.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

You had a tornado alright. Could have been lots worse.
Art
Old 08-06-2010, 12:23 PM
Typical Buck

Wow! Glad your alright Dave. Looks like you been burning a few gallons of saw gas.
Your gonna be well stocked with firewood for a while.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.