Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
How do you foul a barrel? >

How do you foul a barrel?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

How do you foul a barrel?

Old 08-08-2010, 02:39 PM
Spike

Semisane,
What kind of oil do you use, and what do you call a " light oil patch" ?
I am going to try your method of hunting sight in.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

I use any non-Teflon containing oil. Right now I'm using a spray can of 'Blaster' PB50 All-Purpose Lubricant from Home Depot. Regular old 3-in-1 oil or any of the equivalents work fine for protecting bores and outside surfaces. I'm not picky about it.

As for how light, I put just enough so that all of the patch is lightly dampened and it just barely feels oily. If I happen to put too much, I roll it up in a ball and squeeze it in my fingers as hard as I can to get the excess out.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:22 PM
Fork Horn

Blaster pb50 is what I use in my job to separate frozen nuts, bolts, axles and shafts. Works pretty good. If I do fire a fouling shot it will be at least a day or two before opening day so my gun has very little stink as I love hunting in the middle of thickets.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:27 PM
Spike

Thanks Semi. You're gooder n ary angel!
Old 08-10-2010, 02:52 PM
Typical Buck

I usually run a dry patch to get any excess oil out and shoot my first shot which is always off to foul the barrel. After the 1st shot to foul the barrel, my next shots are where they are suppose to be and after about the 3rd, they stay consistent. For hunting, I usually stop at a public range on the way and shoot 3 - 5 shots and then hunt the rest of the week with it fouled. Muzzleloader season is only a week long here.

I'm using BH209, 350 gr. FPB's, and STS primers out of an Omega if your wondering.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

You make a good point about excess oil Colorado Cajun. I suspect those first shots from a clean barrel that hit far away from the sight in point are a result of the barrel being fairly heavily oiled after the last cleaning.

That's a feature I neglected to address when I described my clean barrel hunting practice. If I'm starting with a gun with a bore that has been liberally oiled for storage, I flush the bore with a very wet alcohol patch by pumping the patch up and down the bore several times. Then I dry patch it. Once it's oil free and dry, I do the 'light oil patch/dry patch/load for hunting' thing.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

IMO: Dirtying a barrel is not the way to go. i know of several guns that were ruined when the owners fouled the barrels, left the guns loaded and failed to clean the gun. My muzzleloader guns are all sighted to put the first round on target: That's good enough for me.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Before my first shot I run a alcohol patch down the barrel twice by using both sides of the patch. Then a clean dry patch the same way. Fire three 209 primers and then load without running a patch through. Im good to go at that point.