Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Peep sights and front sight height >

Peep sights and front sight height

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Peep sights and front sight height

Old 08-03-2010, 10:33 AM
Spike

Default Peep sights and front sight height

Here is the deal, I just bought a new CVA wolf. I have yet to shoot it. I really want to install a new peep sight on the rifle. It has a 24" barrel. I know I would probably have to change the height of the front sight because I am changing the location of the rear sight all the way to the back of the gun. I just don't know what height of front sight I will need. I tried calling williams gun sights but everytime they are busy. I also tried Midway USA and eabco.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Leave your rear sight on. Generally iron sights are somewhat close from the factory. Install the peep and adjust it up or down so you are looking through the peep, and the irons are also in line. If you can do that, you'll be close and may not need to change your front sight.

There is a formula to figure front sight height, but I don't know it.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

What i needed for my Accura was a lower front sight. Instead of pursuing the front sight, i went to our local hardware store and purchased some brass sheet, and made shims to raise the peep sight.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I really like the peep sights for MZ's. However I always change the front sight, regardless of the height. I always go to a white front bead that is taller than the factory bead. And I do this for a couple of reasons. First the taller sight allows more light around the bead, so it works better in low light situations. Plus I like the white beads better, for me they stand out. Plus they allow for more elevation adjustment with the rear peep,. And another reason I like them is that if you get one high enough then you can leave the factory rear sight on the barrel because your line of sight with the taller bead and peep is above the factory sight. Tom.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:43 PM
Spike

Thanks for the info, I will buy the peep first and see if I will even need a new front sight.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:10 AM
mountaineer magic

When I put a Williams peep on my Omega I couldn't get enough adjustment to sight it in. I had to put a lower front sight on. T/C sent me one free of charge. Williams also makes a front sight that will match the rear but I went with the t/c only because it was free. Good luck with that peep

Old 08-06-2010, 05:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

One of these MIGHT fit with a little smithing and they have quite a bit of adjustment.

Only about $40 at Numrich with shipping
Old 08-06-2010, 01:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Williams makes one of those specifically for the Knight rifle. I have one on my MK-85. It fits in the two rear scope mount holes. No smith work necessary to mount the sight. However on the few I have handled every one needed a higher front sight. The Williams sight is limited in how low it can go. But it can go up a bunch. Tom.

Last edited by HEAD0001; 08-06-2010 at 01:06 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by HEAD0001
Williams makes one of those specifically for the Knight rifle. I have one on my MK-85. It fits in the two rear scope mount holes. No smith work necessary to mount the sight. However on the few I have handled every one needed a higher front sight. The Williams sight is limited in how low it can go. But it can go up a bunch. Tom.
I got this same one on my LK93 54. Im dead on at 65 yards with my preferred loads. The front sight is the OEM metal site without any fiber. It fits my Ovation too but i havent tried it....yet

I was referring to if he wanted to use a Knight receiver peep on an Acurra. Im not sure what all would be needed to make it fit but its about half of msrp.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 08-06-2010 at 07:35 PM.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Chances are pretty high, considering this is a CVA, that you will need a lower front sight. I think the WRGS peep is designed for use with the Williams front sight. If you have the CVA "durabright" front sight (is taller with a smaller diameter bead) then it is likely you may run out of room to adjust up (rifle will shoot low). I did something like Ron did ... only with plastic (from a cutting board sheet). I used 2 pieces which lifted the sight approximately 3/32 - 1/8 and that did the trick though my sight is adjusted near the upper portion. Anyway, saved having to get a lower front sight.

Last edited by Pglasgow; 08-08-2010 at 04:31 PM. Reason: misspelled

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.