Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
What are your Goals for this Fall? >

What are your Goals for this Fall?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What are your Goals for this Fall?

Old 07-27-2010, 05:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default What are your Goals for this Fall?

First off I hope everyone's enjoying the Summer and everyone's well! So now that Fall is fast approaching and your starting to get the Itch, what are your Goals, any Hunting Trips in progress? a new ML set-up waiting to be tried out, a Big Buck or Bull that's been giving you the slip?
For me I'll be after a Big Buck that's been giving me the slip for the past 2 years, he's a Smart Critter and lives in the Swamp. I see him every now and then during Archery Season and had him one time last year at 40yds but wanted him about 5 yds closer, Gun Season came and went with no sightings of him but this Summer he's still there and sporting a Big Velvet Covered Headset that would make any Buck Proud.
Weather I get him or not is not the case, but the chase, the Hunt, and just being able to pursue him for another Hunting Season will be my Goal. If by chance he wins again this year then so be it, and if that spot I have been saving for him on the wall goes empty again at least I tried and had a Great Time with my Friends and enjoyed what we all love most, Hunting.
I wish all a Safe and Successful Hunt and May God Bless you all in your Travels and Health.
(BP)
Old 07-27-2010, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Breechplug, i hope you have a great fall, and like you write, whether or not you nail that buck, i believe it will be.

Myself, i just would like to get a few doe in the freezer, so that wife and i enjoy another year of good eating.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

As usual, I'll be at the hunting lease just about every weekend from November through January. Good times with good friends. I hope to put a ball through a nice meat doe with the .58 GM Hawken early in the season. I really want to see what that big ol` ball does. I've been getting trail camera pictures of a bachelor group of four bucks on one of my food plots. Two of them are 8-pointers, one probably two and a half years old and one looks to be at least three and a half, probably older. I'd sure like to nail one of those guys. But if I don't I'll be happy with a couple of nice does in the freezer come 2011. After the .58 does its job I'll be hunting each day with whatever gun strikes my fancy at the time.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Oh, a reminder, to (rafsob) and others. If you can and you should, give the 11 Oclock to 1 Oclock time a try on Stand.
I have seen By Far More Big Bucks, and Deer in general use this time to move and feed. I know it's hard to break Old Habits but the Deer know when your NOT there and they come out then. In the Morning there usually bedded down untill then, way befor you get in your Morning Stand. You sit there all Morning and see few if any Deer then go home for Lunch and to plan your Evening Hunt, while your at Home doing this the DEER are moving. You go back to your Stand in the afternoon say around 2 or 3ish and see hardly anything, mabey a few Yearlings and smaller Bucks.
The Big Bucks and Deer are waiting for Dark to move again as they know your there waiting again and there Full as they ate while you were eating so they dont have to move again untill it's Dark.
If I could pick one time to Hunt it would be between 11 and 1, and the further into the Season you get the more this rule applies. You'll Thank Me, give it a try.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

My leg has been feeling a bit better. And I am hoping to be able to get out and hunt a few times this fall. My friends did some more work to my Kawasaki Mule, so it is easier for me to get on and off. So I am hoping to go and bark a few squaks on a couple of sunny fall afternoons with my new(to me) 36 caliber Southern Mountain Rifle. I have shot it once off the front porch. And I was hitting a 2 inch gong at 50 yards, so I am very happy with how it is shooting. the sights were dead on at 50 yards with 30 grains of 3F Black and a round ball. I was going to cast a conical for the rifle. But I think the limit in distance is 50 yards with this rifle, and I am not sure what more a conical would do over a round ball. I do not plan on hunting deer with this 36 caliber. But the raccoons will be in trouble iffin I can get after em.

My friends also modified my hunting cabin for me so I can get into it easier, so I am also hoping to spend a few afternoons looking for a little deer meat. So things are looking up a bit. I did not get to hunt at all last year. Tom.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

BreechPlug you are right about the deer moving around during those hours. However around here I do not think it is because the deer want to get up and move around. It has been my experience that the hunters are moving around, and in and out of the woods during this time. And there is a good bit of hunting pressure in my area. So I think the hunters are jumping these deer out of their beds. So yes, I sit during those hours as well. I just take my lunch to the stand with me. Plus I keep my gallery loads on hand to shoot pot grouse with!! Tom.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

First and formost, my #1 goal for the season, is to just enjoy every second I get to be in the woods. I too have a buck that I have been getting on film the last 2 years, and I would sure like to put my tag on him this year. I am hunting with the same archery set up that I have been shooting for the las 2 years, and I have yet to harvest anything with it, so it would be nice to finally get to draw some blood with it.
Here are a couple of pics of the buck I am after.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Based on my last year, I have very high confidence of getting a few deer on the private land I hunt, which is all from stands.

So my goal is to get a deer off of public land while still hunting, be it the WMAs or National Forests here in Virginia.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:06 AM
Banned

going after bear again
Old 07-27-2010, 09:21 AM
Fork Horn

my goal is to have fun no matter what and hunt food plots in october and early to mid november and then hunt the creek in the prime of the rut in december...everyone knows georgia deer hunting is so much diffrent than any other states

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.