Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
What are your Goals for this Fall? >

What are your Goals for this Fall?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What are your Goals for this Fall?

Old 07-27-2010, 11:12 AM
Typical Buck

Well I have a few as always our farm has a 120" min so anything over that is fair game. I want to take a doe at what I would consider a long range.(150Yds+). And last I want to have a safe season for all of my hunting friends(personal and online). Climbing to the heights we do and our lock ons anything can happen at anytime, and as we get older things start to wear down including our health.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:41 PM
Spike

This will be my 4th year hunting with a muzzleloader. The first year I took an 8 point, the second year I took a 9 point, and last year I took a 7 point. So my goal this year will be to keep my streak alive by taking another nice buck. Easier said than done!
Old 07-27-2010, 12:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well that's a pretty darn good record tnt1960. Hope you keep the streak going.

I've killed my share of whitetails with muzzle loaders over the years, but last November was my first with a flintlock (an 8-pointer at that). I didn't stop grinning until about a week ago. But I still smile a lot.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

My goal is to get enough of my work done in the shop so I can just sit out in the woods without worrying about it. Getting some venison would be a nice bonus.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't really set goals, we usually kill 40-50 deer a year on the farms...All three have soybeans this year and I'll kill a doe just as fast as a buck, they eat beans too...

Seems I usually talk myself out of killing a buck and let one of my young nephews have them...
Old 07-27-2010, 02:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Dang Hawkeye, maybe we should all meet at your place. (I eat beans with my venison sausage. You wouldn't shoot me, would you?)
Old 07-27-2010, 02:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
I don't really set goals, we usually kill 40-50 deer a year on the farms...All three have soybeans this year and I'll kill a doe just as fast as a buck, they eat beans too...

Seems I usually talk myself out of killing a buck and let one of my young nephews have them...

You should be geting lots of practice on those ground hogs. I have hunted a few bean fields in OH for ground hogs. They were thick in those beans. Kill a biggun!!

It is more fun watching the kids. Tom.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:56 PM
Fork Horn

I try to take every Friday off from October to December and 2 weeks off in November. Bow season starts Oct 2nd with muzzleloading coming in the first of November. I found a good trail 2 weeks ago on public land so I put a game camera out to see what passing by. I'm bettin more bear then deer. The past winter probably dropped deer numbers considerably in my area. I can't wait to turn loose a 260gr nosler on the first doe that passes by. I hope the deer that made the rubs in my new found spot is still alive. On a selfish note I hope Iran and North Korea can wait awhile to show what idiots they are. This world is screwy enough and i need a good hunting season to get refreshed.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by Breechplug
Oh, a reminder, to (rafsob) and others. If you can and you should, give the 11 Oclock to 1 Oclock time a try on Stand.
I have seen By Far More Big Bucks, and Deer in general use this time to move and feed. I know it's hard to break Old Habits but the Deer know when your NOT there and they come out then. In the Morning there usually bedded down untill then, way befor you get in your Morning Stand. You sit there all Morning and see few if any Deer then go home for Lunch and to plan your Evening Hunt, while your at Home doing this the DEER are moving. You go back to your Stand in the afternoon say around 2 or 3ish and see hardly anything, mabey a few Yearlings and smaller Bucks.
The Big Bucks and Deer are waiting for Dark to move again as they know your there waiting again and there Full as they ate while you were eating so they dont have to move again untill it's Dark.
If I could pick one time to Hunt it would be between 11 and 1, and the further into the Season you get the more this rule applies. You'll Thank Me, give it a try.
Boy are you ever right!!!

I harvested a nice six point at around 1230 a few years ago:

I don't normally hunt this late in the morning. But I had three does come through at about 1030 and I just knew a buck would be close behind. I normally come out of the woods for lunch anywhere from 1000 to 1100, but I decided to stay a little longer and wait out my hunch. Well he took forever (2 hours), but he came.

Now I stay later in the stand and I know it will pay off.

Thanks for the tip BP.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Now as to what I am looking for, is this guy:

I have been hunting this guy for about four years now. He is still around, but he is very - very crafty. Hunting him has been a thrill, pleasure, and an enjoyment. I honestly think that if I succeed in nailing him, I will be sad and happy at the same time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.