Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Jim Shockeys Gold and Thors? >

Jim Shockeys Gold and Thors?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Jim Shockeys Gold and Thors?

Old 07-07-2010, 09:02 AM
Banned

Default Jim Shockeys Gold and Thors?

I got a can of JSG 2F from one of my forum members, He wasnt having any luck with accuracy. Well i got that yesterday, shot it with 300gr powerbelt platinums and my group was really good.

Today we have a cold front, only 62* with cloudy sky, so i figured, what the heck, this is september temperature so lets go shoot! I had already premeasured my loads last night, 90gr JSG 2F, 300gr Thor, Federal 209a Primers * and man are they freakin dirty!* and set up a new target this morning on my sand bucket.

Heres the first 3 shots. That low shot was my fault, i lined up the black part of my sight on the bullseye and not the green optic :x

I wanted to take a 5 shot group so i did so and ended up one hell of a happy camper!

5 shot group @ 50 yards.

I was shooting into damp sand and i figured maybe i'd catch a Thor or two. I did not expect to find them this way though! :lol:
Old 07-07-2010, 09:07 AM
Dominant Buck

I am surprised that damp sand did not at least open them a little. But that is some good shooting. It seems your rifle really likes APP and Shockey Gold powder.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:10 AM
Banned

Yeah surprisingly the damp sand just wont do it, I normally have to put a gallon jug of water in front. I plan on doing that later on today after i adjust my sights down.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't have a target to show but I can say SG has worked pretty good for me.I use an Omega Z5 & 90 gr. SG.and Rem.209 BP primers.So far,both the older style 245 gr. powerbelt and the 250 gr. Barnes MZ group good.If I had to nitpick,the only thing I'm not fond of is the course grain.I'd buy this powder again.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yeah surprisingly the damp sand just wont do it, I normally have to put a gallon jug of water in front.
How about burying a ziplock bag of water in the sand?
Old 07-07-2010, 10:10 AM
Banned

That'd work too but that means i'd have to get my hands dirty digging out a hold in the sand.. eeeeeeewwww!
Old 07-07-2010, 11:39 AM
sup
Spike

Wow! You might be able to recycle those.