Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Winchester APEX

Old 07-01-2003, 08:37 PM

Default Winchester APEX

I' m new to muzzeloaders have have never owned one. I have been hunting many years with compound bows and high powered rifles but I want to try muzzleloading. Has anyone shot or seen the new Winchester APEX? It looks similar to the TC Omega which is one of the muzzleloaders I' m considering. The magazine ad states " Swing Action Muzzleloader" .
Old 07-02-2003, 08:20 AM

Default RE: Winchester APEX

My understanding of the Apex is that, instead of a bolt with a firing pin (much like a bolt action rifle), which most in-line ML, have, the Apex has a sort of hammer.

My experience is that the actual ignition system in a ML as little effect on the gun' s performance, and each has it' s own advantages and disadvantages. The few post' s I' ve read different message boards about the Apex have be positive.

I wish I could be of more help, but I really believe that a ML is like any other gun and you get one that appeals to you. If you' re interested I' ve got a couple of articles on my site, about getting started in MLing. It' s geared more towards a traditional side, but it might help you out a bit.
Old 07-02-2003, 03:18 PM

Default RE: Winchester APEX

RKenSparc Thanks. That site has some good info.