Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Not Much To Look At... >

Not Much To Look At...

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Not Much To Look At...

Old 06-24-2010, 08:49 PM
Typical Buck

Arrow Not Much To Look At...

...but it sure does have some great serial numbers!

And even my wife commented that it looked pretty when she first saw it!

After receiving it, I wrote to the fine gent that sent it to me that it has found a new home and he replied, "I hope that you keep it forever...!"

And I think that I will!
Attached Thumbnails Not Much To Look At...-p1110810.jpg-.jpg35-.jpg   Not Much To Look At...-p1110810.jpg-.jpg40-.jpg  
Old 06-24-2010, 10:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the new pistol! Is that your first Old Army? They are fine pistols. A shame Ruger stopped making them.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:00 AM
Dominant Buck

Now that is just plain beautiful!! Wow that is nice. Almost too pretty to shoot.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Great score!!!

I used to own one many years ago and should have never sold it.

They are probably the best made (modern) percussion revolver of all time. 30grs Of Pyro P and a Wonderwad/wax cookie under the ball gave very respectable accuracy but they get dirty fast.

This is one of the few times i would suggest trying APP or JSG powder.

BTW Clements mods them to 50cals if you feel the need for more knock down but at a heavy price tag.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:36 AM
Typical Buck

Default Thanks for the compliments

I do have another one of the exact same model which also has some great serial numbers, and I have refrained from shooting it. But now that I have this second one I'm getting psyched up to take the plunge and begin shooting with one of them.
And I do use APP when I shoot revolvers.
So the time to shoot one is getting closer and I'll make sure to report about it.
Believe you me, sometimes the longer a persons waits the sweeter it is! But first I want to replace the white grips with black rubber Pachmyar Presentation's that I have which are not as pretty but are very comfortable, supportive and less slippery.
Attached Thumbnails Not Much To Look At...-p1070616ab50-.jpg  

Last edited by arcticap; 06-25-2010 at 09:10 AM.
Old 06-25-2010, 03:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Those Ruger revolvers are a real dandy. I really like mine, but it is just a standard blued model. I have killed two deer with mine(does in meat season). Mine shoots pretty well. I can keep them in about a 2" group at 25 yards if I do my part. I have even taken my fair share of squirrels with mine. The only problem I have with mine is that it tends to foul(sp) pretty fast. 8 to 10 accurate shots are about all I can get before it needs cleaned.

I do not know if fast fouling is fast for a revolver or not. Mine is the only one i have ever shot. But I like it. Tom.

PS: Am I spelling fouling properly.
Old 06-25-2010, 05:57 PM
Typical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by HEAD0001
Those Ruger revolvers are a real dandy. I really like mine, but it is just a standard blued model. I have killed two deer with mine(does in meat season). Mine shoots pretty well. I can keep them in about a 2" group at 25 yards if I do my part. I have even taken my fair share of squirrels with mine. The only problem I have with mine is that it tends to foul(sp) pretty fast. 8 to 10 accurate shots are about all I can get before it needs cleaned.

I do not know if fast fouling is fast for a revolver or not. Mine is the only one i have ever shot. But I like it. Tom.

PS: Am I spelling fouling properly.
yes you are spelling it correctly.If it was fowling it would have feathers in it!
Old 06-25-2010, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

but they get dirty fast...
And they are a chore to clean. Not hard, but it takes me a while to get that cylinder cleaned up.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by RobertSubnet
And they are a chore to clean. Not hard, but it takes me a while to get that cylinder cleaned up.
After you are done shooting for the day, take the grips off and put it in a dishwasher....at least on a stainless model.