Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Goex any good?

Old 06-24-2010, 02:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default Goex any good?

i have a TC Triumph that i got last year...shooting 44cal Hornaday XTPs and was wondering what your alls thoughts were on this powder...been using Triple 7 but was thinkin of getting something diffrent
Old 06-24-2010, 03:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

GOEX isn't good - it's GREAT!

I have to admit to a real liking for GOEX, and think it's possibly the easiest powder to get good results with.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yep, been shooting it since 1975...Since I shoot mainly flintlocks, I keep plenty...I will shot Pyrodex R-S if WalMart gets rid of it for less than $10 a pound, but other than that I stick with Goex...
Old 06-24-2010, 04:43 PM
Dominant Buck

If you do not mind the smoke, stink, and a little more clean up... Goex is a great powder. It goes off better then any other powder because of the lower flash point, it is a very consistent powder, and had all the power you need for hunting and target shooting. Best of all, buy it in bulk and it is a lot cheaper to shoot them most powders. Black powder is one of my favorite powders. I shoot it probably 90% of the time.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:53 PM
Fork Horn

so would you say its better or worse than Triple 7?
Old 06-24-2010, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use to use Goex awhile back, in the early 80's to early 90's loved it and never had any problems, I used 3F and put a-lot of Deer in the Freezer with it. But times change and new things come along, went with Pyro. But if I had to use Goex I would'nt feel handicapped, give it a try!
Old 06-24-2010, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like Goex also. That is all I have in my box right now. Other than clean up, which is a little more of a pain than Pyrodex, I like it.

I really like the smell of the smoke when the gun goes off. Makes for a nice coughing session, lol :-D

Later,

Marcial
Old 06-24-2010, 07:50 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
GOEX isn't good - it's GREAT!

I have to admit to a real liking for GOEX, and think it's possibly the easiest powder to get good results with.
+1 I am very partial to GOEX.I think it even smells better than the subs. IMO the fouling is much softer also.
Old 06-25-2010, 04:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by CHAMP198
so would you say its better or worse than Triple 7?
Better...Two of my inline buddies used 777 one year, ended up bringing them to me to fix...I had to lap the bores with JB bore paste to get the bores smoothed out again...That crud ring can be tough on some guns, why put up with it???

Another factor, Pyrodex came out in the 70s...It was developed with a higher ignition temperature so you didn't have stringent shipping regulations and didn't have to store in a fire proof safe...It was not developed to be easier to clean, that came later when Marketing got involved...

Since real black powder ignites at a lower temperature in some guns it gives more consistant ignition...

This makes Goex "better"...
Old 06-25-2010, 05:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Goex is good Swiss is better Black Dot is the best all around powder if they make it available to the public. For the inlines capable of using it Blackhorn is #1.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.