Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
A Most Amazing Casting Session - FOLLOW UP (Weighed Balls) >

A Most Amazing Casting Session - FOLLOW UP (Weighed Balls)

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

A Most Amazing Casting Session - FOLLOW UP (Weighed Balls)

Old 06-23-2010, 09:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default A Most Amazing Casting Session - FOLLOW UP (Weighed Balls)

A little while ago I posted a link to Lee's sale of surplus .530 ball molds for $18 shipped. (https://leeprec.securesites.net/cgi/...g/surplus.html)

Well, I bought one of those and used it for the first time today. After de-greasing it with carburetor spray cleaner, smoking it with a butane stick lighter, and lubing the alignment pins with RCBS bullet lube, I began to cast balls.

It was a short session because of the heat. But when I quit I found that I had thrown 101 balls, with not one discard. Every one - from first to last - was perfectly acceptable.

That's never happened before. I did, however, have the lead quite a bit hotter than in previous casting sessions.

EDIT: By the way. All 101 fit exactly in one of my little plastic bottles. It would not have taken 102. I guess I stopped casting at the right time.

Last edited by Semisane; 06-30-2010 at 09:24 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:25 AM
Dominant Buck

I agree... I use a Lee mold and always have great .530 ball that it casts. I also get the lead a little hotter then normal, but I find that I get less air bubbles and do not have to recast as many. It is just too warm outside to cast. What I will do is do it outside on a good breezy day when the temps are not too bad. Then I can stand the heat better.

Are you going to tumble these?
Old 06-23-2010, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have had this overwhelming urge to get into casting. You may have pushed me over the edge.
Art
Old 06-23-2010, 11:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

Are you going to tumble these?
Sho `nuff am.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:19 PM
Banned

heck ya, cant beat that.

Are you using a double cavity or single cavity mold?

I have the Lee double .490 but can only use one as the other chipped out and leaves a big sprue
Old 06-23-2010, 12:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Does that come with a handle???

I currently use a Rapine bag mold for my .54 and it works fine...

But your balls look so pretty that I'm jealous...

I might need to order me an extra set...
Old 06-23-2010, 01:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

It's a single cavity. But for $18 shipped you can't go wrong. Yes, it comes with handles. All you need is heat and lead (and some sort of lube for the alignment pins).
Old 06-23-2010, 01:53 PM
Typical Buck

I just scored about 50lbs. of roofing lead scrap from my neighbor across the road.That was Saturday then yesterday I went to a flea market and picked up an old cast iron pot and a ladle for 5 bucks.I plan on casting some REALS.I have a 50 cal mold and a 54cal mold on the way.Won't be long.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have a number of Lee molds and that work quite well but I must admit I have gone to mostly Lyman molds in the last few years, I find it easier to control the mold temperature.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for posting this up...I've used a Rapine bag mold for over 20 years for my .54 but they recently went out of business...

I ordered one of these today so I'd have a backup...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.