Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Accura, Optima or Wolf, Decisions, Decisions... >

Accura, Optima or Wolf, Decisions, Decisions...

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Accura, Optima or Wolf, Decisions, Decisions...

Old 06-05-2010, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Accura, Optima or Wolf, Decisions, Decisions...

I've decided that I'm going to get myself a treat this summer in the form of a new ML. I already have a .45, so I'm going with a .50. I've narrowed it down to these 3 rifles:

Accura blue/black - $250

Optima (new version) stainless/black - $250

Wolf nickel/black - $150

I've heard good things about all 3, but never shot any of them. I've shouldered the Accura & Optima, but not the Wolf. I realize that the Wolf is not in the same league in terms of quality as the other two, but it is $100 cheaper, which is a very real issue for me. The other advantage of the Wolf is that it is shorter and more manuverable for use in a tree stand, which is where it would primarily be used. I'll be shooting saboted bullets, no conicals and don't plan on using more than 100 grains of T7 FFFG. Thoughts, opinions anyone????
Old 06-05-2010, 05:24 PM
Fork Horn

At the present time I have an Accura,stainless,black. Great rifle. Upgraded from the Wolf. However the Wolf is also a great rifle. I loved mine but felt it was time to upgrade. It was a very easy rifle to load, shoot and clean. Also was very accurate. I don't think you could go wrong with either one. If finances are tight get the Wolf and you won't be sorry. They are a great woods rifle and tree stand rifle. Short and highly manueverable it tight quarters.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Go handle each one and pick the one you like. I would have a hard time choosing if i was buying a ML only CVA today.

The new Optima though sure does feel nice and shoulders well for a full sized rifle.

I handled both the new models yesterday to compare them to my original Accura and both were very nice.

If i was looking at the Wolf i would pay the extra for the new model after seeing them and handling them side by side.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 06-05-2010 at 06:17 PM.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:14 PM
Dominant Buck

From all I have read, and the posts I have seen... I would go with the Accura. I think Cabela's has a sale on them now. No personal experience to go by though.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

If it was me I would hold off until I seen what Knight comes out with before I decided.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have seen some really great prices on some closeout Knight disc rifles. And some used MK-85 Knight rifles for close to or about the same price. I would have a hard time buying any of the three you listed if I could buy a Knight for even close to the same price. I would even save up to pay more for the Knight. So I guess you know that I like the Knight's.

IMO there a only a couple of important parts to a MZ. The barrel, the stock, and the trigger. You could say the action. but not so much on a MZ. And right off the bat Knight has to of the three best that there is. And that would be the Green Mountain barrel. They can nt be beat. And there is no doubt that the MK-85 has the finest trigger ever put in an MZ-short of custom. So then it only comes down to stock choice. Tom.

Last edited by HEAD0001; 06-06-2010 at 06:23 AM.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:21 AM
Banned

i own all 3 and i can tell you to just write down OPTIMA - Accura - Wolf on seperate sheets of paper, put them into a hat, stir it and draw a name. All 3 are shooters and very comfortable rifles. The new wolf and optima, you just cant beat them as far as price, quality and especially the triggers.

The Accura V2 runs about $350
Old 06-06-2010, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do not believe the CVA trigger is even in the same league with the removable, and fully adjustable Knight trigger. Like the one on the MK-85. The CVA is not even close.

And the Bergera barrel is a decent barrel. But it is not an Amercian made Green Mountain Barrel. And only in recent years, because their history sucks.

I am not saying your CVA's wil not shoot. It is not difficult to get a MZ to shoot well. But for overall quality?? No way a CVA competes with Knight. The may do a better marketing job. I will grant you that. But pure quality?? No way. Tom.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:01 AM
Banned

You're right about cva not being able to compete with knight... I think Traditions outsells knight these days. TC and CVA however run head to head, and with the rifles TC's putting out recently ( impact/ northwest) they are starting to slip.

Try a trigger on the Accura, mines right at 2lbs from the factory. I believe Underclocked's accura trigger is under 2lbs if i am not mistaken.

Green Mountain means nothing to me. Traditions uses Wilson barrels on their centerfire rifles. White used them as well if im not mistaken.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:05 AM
Typical Buck

Are you planning on putting a scope on the rifle? The lower cheek on the Wolf may be a disadvantage. That may be a reason to jump up to the Optima. Other than that, if you are on a tight budget (I definitely know where you're coming from) I'm sure the Wolf will do what you want it to.

I have an Optima and I really like the rifle. The way I look at it is that I get to take a muzzleloader to the woods about 10 days per year here in Illinois (if I have the vacation time) and I can't rationalize spending any more that what I did. Mine is the black/blue plane-jane version, but deer don't know the difference. It kills them just as dead as a $1000 gun.

rw

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.