Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Range tested a used '58 Remington >

Range tested a used '58 Remington

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Range tested a used '58 Remington

Old 06-04-2010, 01:03 AM
Typical Buck

Default Range tested a used '58 Remington

I bought another used Pietta Remington .44 Target Model and this was proofed in 1993.
The cylinder pin gets wedged in so tight against the frame in the last 1/8" of its travel that a rubber mallet is needed to get it unstuck and backed out for reloading using a press.
The cylinder pin also showed that it had some previous gas cutting.
The nipples are undersize for using Remington #10's so I ended up pinching all of the caps.
My son and I fired 32 shots total loaded with 35 grains of highly compressed APP fffg, an overpowder card and both .451 & .454 balls.
I forgot to bring lube for the cylinder pin so after 18 shots I had to go and collect some motor oil from my car's dip stick to use. That allowed us to keep shooting for the entire number of pre-measured powder loads that I had.
The adjustable sight was hitting ~6" low and ~6" to the left even though it was already adjusted all of the way to the right.
The elevation adjustment should be easier to do.
The APP powder loads were potent and the gun boomed without any harsh recoil, so it was very pleasant and fun to shoot using some Kentucky windage. The .454 balls may have shot a little better than the .451's, but then we weren't shooting target loads either.
My son had enough room on his memory card for this 6 second video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBC72iuzrLw

And below is a photo of the pistol and the target that was shot from 25 yards:

Last edited by arcticap; 06-04-2010 at 01:09 AM.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:53 AM
Dominant Buck

I was shooting mine the other day. Same revolver, the Pietta .44 caliber target model.

I was shooting 20 grains of Jim Shockey Gold 3f, some cast .451 ball I purchased from Gander Mountain, and some home made lube to make sure it did not chain fire.

20 grains is just a pleasant way to spend the day. Recoil is next to nothing, but it seems to have good power.

I was shooting at 25 yards. You can sure tell when I was shooting from a bench rest, VS just point shoulder shooting. BUT it was a blast. I use Slick 50 One Grease on the cylinder pin and the loading arm plunger. I shot 60 rounds and never had to break the revolver down for cleaning.

At the end of the day I took the wooden grips off the revolver and hit it with the garden hose. After a short session with the jet spray, it was almost clean.

I was also shooting a .22 caliber at the target, but the holes are much different. Even though it was 20 grains of powder, I was amazed at the power of the load. I could hear the ball hitting the steel trap behind it from time to time.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:30 AM
Typical Buck

The point of impact actually seemed to change as the barrel fouled and started warming up a bit.
Next time I'll bring some along some good grease and maybe cut back to loading 30 grain powder charges. But I shoot .22 pistols so much that I really enjoy shooting with the extra powder.
It seems to have a lot more power than shooting a Blackhawk with a 9mm conversion cylinder.
Cayugad, we should both try shooting at 50 yards sometime, at least I haven't yet. Hopefully the target that I'm using is large enough for me to hit it at 50 yards.
Have you ever shot yours at 50 yards? If you did how well did yours shoot?

Last edited by arcticap; 06-05-2010 at 01:34 AM.