Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Maple or walnut

Old 06-01-2010, 03:52 PM
mountaineer magic

Default Maple or walnut

If you had a choice between Maple and Walnut stock on a gun and the Maple was a lot nicer looking but cost $150.00 more would you pay extra for the Maple? Just curious.

Old 06-01-2010, 03:59 PM
mountaineer magic

walnut and maple photo
Attached Thumbnails Maple or walnut-pr3435.jpg   Maple or walnut-pr3430.jpg  

Old 06-01-2010, 04:01 PM
Fork Horn

Depends on my financial situation at the time, if the overtime is flowing then I would splurge for the maple.I would be willing to bet that you are hoping most folks say go for the maple cause you know thats what you really want.Aw go for it. I missed those phots first time thru, That maple is gorgeous, almost too nice to take into the woods.

Last edited by deer655; 06-01-2010 at 04:05 PM.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is a very nice looking piece of maple there. I also like the looks of walnut. If its a gun you are going to keep I guess I would pick whichever one I liked best. If you don't get what you like you won't be content. Maple is harder and won't scratch and ding up quite as easy as the walnut.
I know you want the maple Chet, go for it.
Art
Old 06-01-2010, 05:47 PM
Typical Buck

$150 is a big difference,but, I would go for the maple. If money was real tight you wouldn't
be considering buying a rifle that gave you that option. Get what your gonna be happy with.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Both my flintlocks are maple, one has a very nice piece of curly maple...During the flintlock period maple was very popular...

I'm a sucker for nice guns...I don't buy myself one that often because I have a wife and 3 daughters...When I do buy one, it's special...I'm thinking of what will be left for the grand kids at this point...

I'd go with the maple, moving from a plain grade of maple to a premium piece is easily $150...
Old 06-02-2010, 03:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you can be guaranteed you'll get a piece of wood like the maple in the picture, OK. I'd want some assurance that it will look nice before purchasing. So if this is a gun you can see at a shop, you're all set. If you have to buy sight unseen, I hope you could return it for another if you're not happy.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have used both, it depends on what you like.
A difference is that walnut is about twice as heavy, that also depends on what you want.
A suggestion or two
If you decide on the maple get tiger stripe and use triaminic acid to stain it and tung nut oil to finish it this not only traditional but the easiest to take care of and by far the best looking. Walnut is kind of dull looking so it is good looking with a hard shiny finish. If you want some thing colorful look at Birdseye maple triaminic acid will also bring the color out in it. I used to custom build and will try to answer any questions.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:01 PM
mountaineer magic

Originally Posted by lemoyne
I have used both, it depends on what you like.
A difference is that walnut is about twice as heavy, that also depends on what you want.
A suggestion or two
If you decide on the maple get tiger stripe and use triaminic acid to stain it and tung nut oil to finish it this not only traditional but the easiest to take care of and by far the best looking. Walnut is kind of dull looking so it is good looking with a hard shiny finish. If you want some thing colorful look at Birdseye maple triaminic acid will also bring the color out in it. I used to custom build and will try to answer any questions.
Unfortunately there isn't a choice in Maples It is a factory import so whatever kind of maple they use is what you get.The photo is really nice but the actual gun that is shipped isn't available for view. Just the store stock photo. I would hope the one shipped looked like the stock photo but I doubt there is any guarantee on that. I imagine if a person wasn't happy with it when it arrived that it could be returned though. The store is in Tennessee so seeing one in person isn't going to happen either. I don't even know how to find out what type of finish it has. e-mail the manufacturer probably but a person might not get a reply right away. It's an italian import.

Old 06-02-2010, 05:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

I always got a blank and made it to fit. I guess if you want a factory made your choices are limited.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.