Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Lyman GPR loading follow-up >

Lyman GPR loading follow-up

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Lyman GPR loading follow-up

Old 05-26-2010, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Lyman GPR loading follow-up

Hello all. I got so much help regarding loading my GPR, I thought you might be interested in a follow-up.

The problem: my .54 cal Lyman GPR was difficult to get a ball and patch down the barrel.

I was using .530 balls then and today. Someone suggested I try just dropping one down the barrel. I did this and sure enough the ball went down the barrel without a problem.

It turns out the patches I was using were thicker than .005. I opened a new pack of .005 patches and those loaded without a problem.

Why something thicker, such as a .010 patch is giving me a problem, I do not know. But using 90 grains and a .005 patch, I was able to load without a problem and consistently putting shots in the 7 o'clock position.

Just thought you guys would be interested to know.

Thanks again for all your help.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:35 PM
Dominant Buck

well I am glad you got it all figured out. Sounds like you have a good shooter.