Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
@ the Farm with Knight-Lehigh-BH and Speer >

@ the Farm with Knight-Lehigh-BH and Speer

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

@ the Farm with Knight-Lehigh-BH and Speer

Old 05-21-2010, 03:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default @ the Farm with Knight-Lehigh-BH and Speer

Well, I finally was able to get out and do some more shooting with the Knight Extreme. I had conducted an initial test of the Knight with a Lehigh Gen II plug installed in April and wanted to follow that up with a 'prove it' test. I have gone back to work so finding the time to get it done has been a problem, but the time presented itself today - so I headed to the farm this afternoon.

The April test realy was ran to test the cleanliness of the new Lehigh Generation II plug. That issue is no longer and issue for myself so not going to speak to much about how clean the plug is, but it sure is nice.

The testing I was trying to conduct is how well the plug and vent liner work with BH. In my mind these two test confirm what i thought I already knew. The 'Vent Liner' is the key and the 'Plug' is clean in all of my Knights. For my tests to be complete I still need to shoot in some really cold weather and that will have to wait for awhile. Probably late December...

What I was trying to confirm is that different primers do not have all that much of an effect on velocities created or instant ignition. There certainly are dofferences ion velocities, but again I am not weighing charges - I am using a powder volumn measure and dropping that into the bore.

Here are the targets and the information... This is today's target

This is the target from April....

Last edited by sabotloader; 05-21-2010 at 03:27 PM.
Old 05-21-2010, 03:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good report and pretty dang accurate!

BTW: My LRH is headed back to me. Dave called today and confirmed that the problem was that some batches of bolts were manufactured too long. He removed some metal at the end of the bolt and says it works fine with the new breech plug and bare primer converter. Thanks for all the help.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

I just installed another GenII in my Extreme 50 and sofar the 3 main primers i use are about perfect. Its slightly tight closing but thats from the slight crush on the primers.

They are almost totally spotless, even the Fed209As that were a bit dirtier in the Elite 45 but were not bad. They are about perfect in the Extreme 50 too.

Looks like i got to try it out for real tomorrow with some heavy bullets. I got a steal on some .458 325gr FTXs and have to try them out too.

This ones gunna leave a mark.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:04 AM
Fork Horn

Sabotloader,

Very good report, what was the distance to the crono, was that at 50 yards also?

With my Knight t-bolt that I converted to a held in place 209 ignition, My Crony at 10' indicates Av. 1978 FPS. with a load of 105gr BH209 measured with a TC expandable brass measure set at 100. ( it throws consistent, 5 grains heavy with Goex 2F). I was using Win. 209s. this is with a .452, 260 grain Hard cast boolit that I cut the mold for. (I copied the 250 gr XTP profile, I wish I had cut it with a bigger metplat but it shoots great as is) using a Harvester short black, this combo will take 50 lbs to push it down the barrel of my gun.

Our findings are very close, and that is great, being I know that my crony is not lab guality :-)

I didn't use the Rem 209-4 in this gun because the system is cut/set for the Win 209 primer length. I do have the 209-4 primers and have used several K in other guns.

Ken
Old 05-22-2010, 09:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well im off to the range. Weather is nearly perfect except for being in the 80F+ range

Today im trying the GenII/and Lehigh liner in a low serial # Extreme 50. Im going to see if i can repeat the great ignition using mostly WinT7s but this time using the Lehigh vent liner instead of the PR version i used in the Elite 45. Im bringing some Win209s and Feds209As too.

This one appears to be even cleaner that the one in my Elite 45 and the primer seal looked awesome. So i am going to try some of the heaviest charges and bullets (upto 400gr) i have with sabots. If these come back as clean as the Elite 45 im sure it will handle my more common loads with ease.

Dont expect any tight groups since im pushing most of them to the limit and more concerned with other things besides accuracy this time out.

Im also going to play with some of the 45x357s ive been mostly ignoring just for fun in the Accura and see if it shoots the PR Ultimate conicals as well as the Elite 45...upping the charge a bit too if i have enough time.

Probably going to give the T7 powder a try in the Accura 45 too since it seems a bit better with the light weights. Ive also got a bunch of my Montana Gold 40-180s to see how well they compare to the 180gr XTPs. They are MUCH cheaper and have a tougher jacket.

Oops almost forgot ive got some "custom" 40-225gr JHPs from Hawks Bullets and a full box of the Lehigh 185 DOAs. Ive got to try these in the 50 with the Harvester 50x40 CRs too.

Nothing fancy and i will probably sit at the 50 line most of the day since its better shaded.

Have a good one and see you guys in 4-5 hours.
Old 05-22-2010, 03:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

All went well except the heat and headache. I only used WinT7s all day and ignition was perfect. Extraction was perfect and the primers barely look used.

Loads varied from 100gr to 120gr. Most were 110gr of BH209 with bullets 275gr and up. I didnt make any real effort for a perfect sight in. I got my Spitfre 285gr sighted in and left it alone for the rest of the day.

Accuracy wasnt bad considering the heat and a raging headache. Its only 50yards but i didt really make an effort to tailor any loads either. I did switch to the MMP HPH-24 for most of my 45 bullets and the Extreme seemed to like them a little better than the 3P-EZ.

My beloved Barnes Original 458 300gr SS is seldom disappointing.

Old 05-22-2010, 03:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Gm54-120

Gees! to bad you can not reload those primers - they look brand new!

The HPH-24's work so well for me I ave never even considered the thinner 3p's.

I am not much of a Barnes person - do not the 'originals' have lead... so I guess are they a copper/lead bullet? I have always used Nosler partitions... Have you ever shot any .458/300 grain Nosler's. That was my normal elk hunting bullet until I decided to try the Lehigh. Hope I get a chance to use one this year.

Did not get a chance to shoot ML's today - decided to try my hand a trap today.
Old 05-22-2010, 03:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Screwbolts

The chrono was approximately 10/12' feet off the muzzle. The difference in velocity you are seeing between yours and mine could be related to elevation. I am shooting near 3000 ft. above sea level.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by sabotloader
Gm54-120

Gees! to bad you can not reload those primers - they look brand new!

The HPH-24's work so well for me I ave never even considered the thinner 3p's.

I am not much of a Barnes person - do not the 'originals' have lead... so I guess are they a copper/lead bullet? I have always used Nosler partitions... Have you ever shot any .458/300 grain Nosler's. That was my normal elk hunting bullet until I decided to try the Lehigh. Hope I get a chance to use one this year.

Did not get a chance to shoot ML's today - decided to try my hand a trap today.
Im sold on the HPH-24 now and i have a good stock of them too. They held up very well to the hot charges. I did blow a few Crushribs though. 2 50x40s and at least 1 50x429. The black Crushribs held up ok but the MMPs shot much better IMO.

Yes the Barnes O is a copper and lead made for 45-70 performance levels BUT...its supposed to be a very soft lead in a tapered jacket. Expansion has always been great over a wide range and penetration is extremely good. Weight retention is in the same league as Partitions but usually with larger diameter expansion. Depending on how much bone you hit ect.

Ive got a nice stock of the .451-300gr Partitions too. I think both are great bullets but the Barnes does fly a bit flatter. The 300gr Scorpion Gold PT has a similar trajectory, so its a good low cost sub for practice.

BTW another company (General?) is making a all copper bullet like Barnes XPBs ect but for a MUCH lower cost. MidwayUSA should have them in stock in early July according to their website.

Im mainly just thrilled the Lehigh NFPJ with the Lehigh liner was flawless in the Extreme 50. Now i can work on loads tailored to the NFPJ which i feel is more consistent than the FPJ. The trigger has finally smoothed out a bit more too.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Gm54-120

I think both are great bullets but the Barnes does fly a bit flatter.
Expansion has always been great over a wide range and penetration is extremely good. Weight retention is in the same league as Partitions but usually with larger diameter expansion. Depending on how much bone you hit ect.
Boy! those statements could sure start a huge Ford - Chevy war of words...

So... I am going to remain mum.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.