Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
For all you hardcore shooters...i need help!! >

For all you hardcore shooters...i need help!!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

For all you hardcore shooters...i need help!!

Old 05-18-2010, 02:47 PM
Dominant Buck

First thing I would do is move in to 50 yards and shoot a five shot group. check and see if you have fliers there. Then hit the 75 yard line and do the same thing. Again, if it is making fliers at the close distances they should only get worse the further back you get.

Then at 100 yards shoot that same five shots. It looks like you have good accuracy. Also make sure you are swabbing the same for each shot.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

IMO a MZ is not like a centerfire rifle. I really do not care what kind of group my MZ is shooting. All I care about is where that first cold bore shot goes. Shot 2 and 3 make no difference to me in a hunting rifle. I completely clean my rifle between every shot when I am preparing a rifle to hunt with. And then I load the rifle under the conditions that it will be loaded when I am huntnig. For me this even includes the time of year, and hopefully in the area where I am hunting. For example. When we elk hunt with our MZ's out west. I always make sure I have a full day before season to shoot my rifle. I want to know exactly what my rifle is doing, and under the conditions that I will be doing it in. Is this a little anal?? Yes. But I have 100% confidence in my system.

I even leave my rifle outside when hunting season is approaching. And shoot it that way. You will never see my MZ in the cab of a hot pickup truck. Tom.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Everything as consistent as you can get it:

weigh powder, not measure, makes a difference
clean exactly the same every shot, no dirty bore,
weigh the bullets before you use them
I shot 5 shot groups always and you get a better idea of a group with that.
Also when you seat the bullet, put all your weight over top of it
that way your compacting the power the same.
Wait 5 minutes between shot, don't put the sabot and bullet in there and let it sit with a hot barrel it will soften the sabot up and make accuracy suffer.

I am with Falcon, looks like you got 2" groups right now and that is plenty accurate for hunting out to 150 yards with aiming dead on.
Chap

Originally Posted by muzzypower
Hey all,
I'm in need of some help...i'm trying to work up a load for a nebraska hunt in december. been shooting the last couple days at 100 yards and the oddest thing is happening. No matter what load combo i try, with every 3 shot group i'm touching 2 out of 3 bullets...sometimes shots 1 and 3, and sometimes shots 2 and 3. Is this dumb luck, or is there a cause? Should I be happy or frustrated?? In some cases, shot 1 is clean bore, and in others it's dirty. Let me know your thoughts....here are scans of the targets with load info..thanks a bunch...

With all shots, I'm using a traditions pursuit xlt thumbhole, winchester primers, Blackhorn 209, and varying bullets and sabots.(240 grain dead center, 260 grain dead center, 200 grain shockwave) ( harvester crush rib .40 sabot as well as orange .40 sabot that comes with the dead center bullets)
Old 05-18-2010, 05:43 PM
Spike

i wait about 15 minutes between shots...i just do things around the house...i'm lucky to be able to shoot off my deck.

I have tried swabbing/not swabbing to different extents...it definitely has much less impact with BH than with other powders in my opinion...still experimenting with the bore issue.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Five shot groups will give more information. Along with that there is a couple of things you could do to improve consistency. Do index your sabots preferably to get 2 lands on each sabot, I find the longer the range the more difference this makes.
Secondly be careful to get the same setting pressure this can make a bigger difference than most people would believe. These two things alone can be the difference between a 1.5 inch group and a .5 inch group if you have control a good scope and decent form for rest shooting. Lee
Old 05-18-2010, 06:25 PM
Spike

Ok...thanks for all the input

here's my plan....

if there's no wind tomorrow, i'm going to shoot a 5 shot group with my 240 grain dead centers (since that's basically all i have left) I will try indexing them..range yet to be determined but it will probably be 100 because of my bullet shortage.

I'm going to either clean the bore after each shot, or just fould the bore first and then remove the breach and run a dry patch between shots....ideally i'd like to try both but, again, i'm short on bullets at the moment. I have 300 grain dead centers and scorpion pt golds so maybe i'll try a 5 shot with them. thanks again
Old 05-19-2010, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I may have to put a scope on my KP1 and head back to Nebraska this December. I miss that December ML season. I wonder when they changed the regs to allow powered scopes. I wish Wyoming would get some ML seasons.

Good luck on the shooting.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:42 PM
Spike

well guys....my impatience got the best of me today...i just had to shoot

i started with a dirty bore that i ran dry patch down.

i shot 4 times....shots 1,3, and 4 were all basically touching...cloverleaf!! shot 2 was an inch or so above the cloverleaf. 240 grain dead center with 110 grains BH209

i pulled the breach after each shot, and ran a dry patch, and let the barrel cool. I indexed the sabot each time. my rifle ports align perfectly with the petals so that was nice. i was using the plastic bullet seater that comes with the dead center bullets. however, on shot 2, i seated the bullet with the metal end of the ramrod by mistake. maybe i made a dent in the lead or something, but I'm going to attribute this as the cause of this shot being the flier for my own sanity lol Shots 1, 3, and 4 were prepared exactly the same. to say i'm VERY happy is an understatement....now on to 200 yards!!

i'll post the target tomorrow ...
Old 05-21-2010, 04:23 AM
Spike

here's the target
Attached Thumbnails For all you hardcore shooters...i need help!!-skmbt_c25010052107470.pdf  
Old 05-21-2010, 06:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yours has porting?

Many people report an occasional flier with ported MLs.... Is it true?..im not sure since ive never had a ported ML barrel.

BTW your groups are very nice....good job....and in mine a bore fouled with a few shots of BH209 gives me better accuracy. Ive made 50shot runs with no ill effects and ZERO cleaning.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 05-21-2010 at 06:13 AM.