Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
sighting in new muzzleloder >

sighting in new muzzleloder

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

sighting in new muzzleloder

Old 05-17-2010, 04:08 AM
Spike

Default sighting in new muzzleloder

My queations is at 50 yards should I been dead on the bullseye or low or high. I would like to be dead on at 100 yards. I have heard diffferent views and was wondering what you guys think? i shoot a TC bone collecter 50 cal. Thanks-Don
Old 05-17-2010, 04:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you sight in your rifle so the bullet is striking the target about 1" higher than where you are aiming at 50 yard, it should be fairly close to hitting the target where you are aiming at 100 yard. There are several variables at play here, such as amount of powder, bullet, etc. Gravity doesn't allow you be dead on at 50 yard, and 100 yard and every where else. You may find two yardages where the bullet hits the target exactly where you aim. In this case it may be 25 yard, and 100 yard with the bullet hitting the target higher than the point of aim at all ranges in between.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:09 AM
Dominant Buck

About an inch high at 50 yards with "normally" out you real close out to 100 yards, but check it.

I have a rifle that shoots top of the bull at 50 yards and is bottom of the bull at 100 yards. Then I have another, same thing, top of the bull at 50, but an inch under the bull at 100.

What I am getting at is not all rifles shoot alike. You have to just play with them and learn their drop. BUT I would start with an inch high at 50 and then see where it hits at 75 and 100.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:34 AM
Fork Horn

Like said you want to sight about 1" high.

Also remember to clean barrel after a couple shots. It is amazing what just a little foul can do to the accuracy.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I sight in 2" high at 50yds, it will put me dead on at 125 and about 2" Low at 150. I found this to work perfect for me. I can hold in the Heart area at close distances say (0-50) and anything beyond that I just hold Dead Center Lungs and Im in the kill Area out to 175yds. But this all depends on your Bullet weight, Powder and Barrel length. Play around with it and you'll find out where you should sight it at to be good at the ranges your looking for.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

The caliber the load the type of gun the type of bullet all make a difference also what you want to use it for at what range.
I get the feeling that what you are looking for is the point blank range. That is sighting in for the max distance your gun and set up is capable of with out causing a miss. If that is what you wish then give us the info and we will figure it for you.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

i sight my flintlock in at 12 and 1/2 yds.i use open sights.i dont shoot out to 100 yds tho.this sightings is to be dead on at 75 yds. so if i was 1 inch high it should be dead on at 100 or close.