Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
A Farewell Shoot With The New Englander >

A Farewell Shoot With The New Englander

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

A Farewell Shoot With The New Englander

Old 04-26-2010, 07:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default A Farewell Shoot With The New Englander

A couple of months ago I began to get an itch for a custom made flint longrifle - something in the Southern Mountain Rifle style.

That dang itch has been getting pretty bad so I've started (trying) to save my pennies. It's pretty slow going because I've had no choice but to make a few "unavoidable" purchases (like the .58 barrel and tang peep sight for the Renegade).

Having reached the conclusion that I'm going to have to sell a few of my current toys to speed things along, I began considering which ones I shoot the least. A couple of modern revolvers won't cause much pain, but muzzleloaders are hard to say good bye to.

I haven't shot the .50 New Englander in over a year. When I bought it a dozen or so years ago it carried a red dot sight, which I soon found was not very useful for my purpose. Three years ago I mounted a 2X pistol scope in a forward mounted "scout" position. That worked like a charm. Its only drawback is that you have to wipe off the rear lens after every couple of shots when shooting on the range in humid conditions - like almost always in my neck of the woods.

Here's the gun.

I never could get this one to shoot patched balls well, and never tried maxiballs. It shot Lee REALs "OK", but not great. My hunting load with it was 75 grains of GOEX FFg under the (now discontinued) 410 grain Lyman Great Plains conical, which it shot well. It was good for three or four-inch 100 yard groups with that load, and I killed a quite a few deer with it over the years - mostly at around 50 to 70 yards.

Anyway, I decided to have a farewell shoot with the lady Saturday morning before I put her up for sale. Having no GP bullets on hand, I figured I would see what a sabot load would do. I've never tried them in it before, figuring the 1:48 twist wouldn't do the job very well.

Boy, was I surprised.

I loaded up some 250 grain XTPs in Harvester sabots over 80 grains of T7 and got this.

Then I loaded some 300 grain XTPs and got this.

I should have tried sabot loads in this sucker years ago. Breaking up is hard to do and it's going to be awfully hard to say good bye.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:01 PM
Typical Buck

Nice shootin Semi. Nice lookin rifle too. The New Englander with a wooden stock is getting harder and harder to find.Yours and one more are the only ones I have ever seen.It won't
take you long to get rid of it.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:02 PM
Dominant Buck

Can't you see it wants to stay!! I did its best work for you to change your mind. How could you sell a rifle that shoots that good? Shame on you.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

That's dang interesting right there...

Might help you sell her...
Old 04-27-2010, 05:27 AM
Typical Buck

Really? A New Englander is hard to find with a wooden stock? ****! I was at a gunshow last week and they had one for 150 dollars. Almost new, and I found another one for 250. I KNEW that I should have pick up that one at the gun show.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:06 AM
Fork Horn

I wonder how much those groups would open up at 100 yards?
Old 04-27-2010, 01:28 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by 50calty
Really? A New Englander is hard to find with a wooden stock? ****! I was at a gunshow last week and they had one for 150 dollars. Almost new, and I found another one for 250. I KNEW that I should have pick up that one at the gun show.
It also depends on what part of the country you might be in at the time.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

It also depends on what part of the country you might be in at the time.
That's true. I haven't seen another one around here for years. But I was in Georgia two weeks ago and the Deer Creek shop in Marietta had three of them in the rack. But for the price they had on them you would think they were collector's items.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:36 AM
Typical Buck

Well since I live in Montana with no Muzzleloader season. If you can find any they are usually dirt cheap cause there is no market. Usually I have to buy alot of things online. Well my TC Bone Collector I bought that on GunBroker from a shop in Ohio.