Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA Bobcat issues

Old 04-25-2010, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default CVA Bobcat issues

Well, I have been having some issues with my CVA Bobcat for some time. I have since purchased a Traditions Pursuit and that is my main hunting rifle during the ML seasons.

The problem lies in the lock and or nipple. The gun has always been stored hammer down, so I didn't think that would be an issue, and shouldn't cause the spring to wear out.

If memory serves me correctly, I started having problems when I put a new nipple on the gun. The nipple I put on was a CVA Stainless nipple. I bought two at the time, and am having trouble with both nipples. I have tried filing them down, and still have no luck.

The problem is the gun will not fire consistently on the first shot. It will on the second shot no problem, but the cap does not seat far enough on the nipple for the cap to go off on the first shot most times.

Any ideas?

What other nipple might I try?

I am at a loss. I enjoy that little gun, but it is frustrating. I would like to get it back to where it is shooting reliably again, and do more rabbit hunting with it with low charges of black powder and a round ball. That sure is fun, lol.

Later,

Marcial
Old 04-25-2010, 09:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sounds like the cap isn't fully seating on the nipple. Reduce the diameter of the nipple. There are several methods.

1. File it down by hand, keeping it a round as possible.
2. Use a 1/4" wide strip of emory paper about ten inches long to sand the sides, kind of like polishing the toe of your shoe with a cloth.
3. Chuck the nipple in a power drill or drill press and file it down as it rotates.

You won't have to take it down much for the cap to fit, so go slowly and check often by trying a cap on it.

As an alternative (or to check to see if cap fit is actually the problem) place a cap on your nipple the way you normally would, then lower your hammer and push down on the hammer to seat the cap all of the way.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:17 PM
Typical Buck

I found that some replacement CVA nipples were a little taller than the original and the hammer did not hit center. Try to find a shorter nipple for your Cva maybe a different Maker.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:34 AM
Dominant Buck

The same thing happened on my CVA Mountain Stalker which is a Bobcat. I am sure you are on the right track and that it is a nipple problem. I took Emory paper and just worked a nipple over one night. It helped but as the nipple gets dirty it starts to do the same thing, the first hit sets it the second fires it.

When it gets the end of the shoot day, I open the hammer, swab the bore, dry it, then cap it and actually drop the hammer on the empty rifle to set it. 90% of the time it sets the cap. Then I load it as normal, and I know then it will fire.

But it sure is an aggravation.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the information guys!

I think I will just work it over some more and see what happens.

Marcial
Old 04-26-2010, 08:58 AM
Typical Buck

What type of caps are you using? They do vary some. I prefer the Remington caps on my guns. I have a tin or 2 of the CCI caps and they are just a pain to use and don't go down onto the nipples enough to be seated. (has caused me loose a deer also) I would do the emory cloth but that would require me to do 14 nipples. 2 for rifles and 12 for black powder pistol. Just easier to use a different brand of caps.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:30 AM
Banned

yep cva replacement nipples are quite a bit thicker. They require you to push the cap on fully with the hammer.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I didn't think of using a different brand of caps. Not sure if I can get something other than CCI around here though. Will have to look.

Thanks,

Marcial
Old 04-26-2010, 02:55 PM
Spike

My father has a CVA Bobcat and I a CVA Frontier-Hunter; we solved our ignition problems by converting our nipples, and caps, to 'musket caps' by CCI (U.S. Musket Caps). Since then, we've nary a hang fire.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:03 AM
Fork Horn

You can chuck up the nipple in an electric drill and turn it down with a small flie. Tighten the drill chuck on the center portion of the nipple that is above the threads but below the part the cap fits on. This should solve your problem.