Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
My rifle on the way >

My rifle on the way

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

My rifle on the way

Old 04-21-2010, 09:45 PM
Banned

Default My rifle on the way

Going to be "restoring" this one as soon as she comes in. My first ever muzzleloader was a CVA Blazer .45 This one is a .50cal so it will be fun. With the 1:48 twist its either round ball or conicals. Im thinking about getting one of those 209 mag spark adapters for it but im not sure if it would work out or not. First thing first, Strip and refinish the stock, Got everything all picked out too!

Has some nice pattern here and there, i plan on using the Rusty Walnut stain with Truoil so it should pop out.

Got something special picked out for the barrel. Wont tell ya what im gonna do to it until it is done!
Old 04-22-2010, 08:08 AM
Typical Buck

First time I have seen this style of rifle. Who made it??? The hammer/trigger design is interesting. Based on the small stamps I can see it looks like it might be Italian.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:19 AM
Banned

This is made by CVA. I think it was their first inline offered. This should be a mid 1980s model.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:32 PM
Spike

wow that is a pretty cool number. haven't seen one of those before.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Refinish? How about some tiger stripe or birds eye?
Old 04-25-2010, 08:24 AM
Banned

well it came in friday and the first 4" of bore look like it came out of the civil war! lol looks like i will mod the barrel a bit. Nice rifle over all, the stock is much better than the one i had many years ago.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:26 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
well it came in friday and the first 4" of bore look like it came out of the civil war! lol looks like i will mod the barrel a bit. Nice rifle over all, the stock is much better than the one i had many years ago.
I bought a gun last year that has a muzzle that looks like that.Still shoots good,but, bothers me every time I look at it.What can you do with that other than just go with it?
Old 04-27-2010, 03:32 PM
Banned

well shoot, it doesnt look good boys. I pulled the nipple and saw a dark black ring on the inside and that baffled me, figured it was a crud ring. Inspected the outside of the barrel, ran my fingers along and theres a bulge all the way around. Looks like someone may have short started.

What do you guy? I planned on using APP-Patched round balls only in it.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:42 PM
Banned

ok after going over the barrel with a Mic, its much worse than a bulged barrel. Who ever drilled the scope holes (This wasnt factory available) Went TO deep and apparantly while firing, the barrel had started to come apart there due to pressure. Not good! I wont attempt to fire this rifle. CVA gave me the same story as they did with my original blazer. We do not have any replacement parts, Send it in with a note with whats wrong and your address and we will send you a new replacement rifle.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Where did you buy it from Devil? Did the seller misrepresent the condition? I hate that kind of thing and believe an unscrupulous seller should get the widest publicity.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.