Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Pyrodex - Corrosion >

Pyrodex - Corrosion

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Pyrodex - Corrosion

Old 04-21-2010, 05:41 PM
Banned

Default Pyrodex - Corrosion

Ok, here’s the deal. I get this question 50 times a year and they all originate from web sites. The problem with the internet is that there are so many “experts” who really have no knowledge but want to portray themselves as the keepers of all knowledge as long as they can hide in the anonymity of the internet.

Yes, Pyrodex contains pecrhlorates.

No, they do not etch the barrel at some minute level so small it can only be viewed under a full moon while wearing a wizard outfit.

NASA and the DOD both have tested and used Pyrodex over the past 35 years. Their testing contradicts the “experts” on the internet. They found Pyrodex to be no more corrosive than black powder.

Cleaning of Pyrodex residue is the same as black powder. No petro solvents, only water based or polar solvents. Soap is great. Windex with vinegar is great, Ballistol is the best thing for cleaning muzzleloaders I have ever seen, with all powders.

I don’t know how to make it any more plain, no special problems with Pyrodex. Shoot the gun, Clean the gun completely and you are just fine.

Those who want to continue to spew about their “expert” knowledge about the corrosiveness of Pyrodex and how it magically micro-pits barrels are going to continue to spew the same old tired stuff. How could the continue to be the anonymous “expert” hiding on the internet if they gave up. That is just the nature of the internet. I (we) are bound by truth, the “experts” are bound by their imaginations.

I hope this helps. I would say that it may be best to just give the best advice ever, “When you want to know about a product, call the maker. 800-622-4366”

Mike Daly

Customer Satisfaction Manager

The Hodgdon Family of Fine Propellants

Hodgdon Smokeless Powders

Winchester Legendary Propellants

IMR Propellants

Pyrodex

Triple Seven

Goex Black Powder
Old 04-21-2010, 06:00 PM
Fork Horn

Wow. I only had to use it once to realiize it had no advantage over Black powder, and was much tougher to fire in damp and cold conditions. I am still amazed that after Triple7 hit the market it still was sold at all.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

I mostly use GOEX myself. But there's nothing wrong with Pyrodex. It's consistent, ignites easier than T7, and is a lot more available than black powder (and that's a biggie). It fills a useful niche. I sure wouldn't want to see it disappear.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

Pyrodex is a really good and consistent powder-cheap too. Clean the gun soon after firing and you'll have no problems. Neglect the gun and you'll get a ruined barrel; just like with black powder.

My old CVA StagHorn has fired about 3,000 rounds using mostly Pyrodex. The bore looks like it did when the gun was new.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:57 AM
mountaineer magic

I am glad to see he extolled the virtues of ballistol and how good it is. I use ballistol for patches ,cleaning ,conditioning,etc. I've mentioned it a few times but it is largely ignored as a cleaner yet it is one of the best. I know some have said it has a terrible smell, but everything has it's drawbacks. Try ballistol sometime and see what you think

Old 04-22-2010, 06:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well he answered the question correctly, but he could have added one thing in my opinion of course it was not implied in the question he may not do any pressure testing either.
Pyrodex is the most consistent burning of the volume measured powders under all conditions, this makes it much easier to achieve accuracy with especially in traditional guns, and while the residue is as corrosive as black powder it is also soft and easy to clean and most of the guns I have used it in you could get 3 to 7 accurate shots out of with out swabbing which makes it a good choice for hunting. With some powders every thing from the temperature to the moisture content of the air affects pressure and or residue and there is the hunting factor because where I live we have never been limited to one deer and there are boar ,bear bobcat and coyote to consider I may need that second or third shot in a hurry. Lee
Old 04-22-2010, 07:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ive never had Pyro hurt a gun that was cleaned properly. I would clean mine in the tub using a bucket full of hot soapy water.

Put the muzzle in the bucket and use the cleaning rod and patch like a syringe. Pulling the cleaning solution up and out several times.

Never had an issue using this method and barrels are like new.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:04 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by chetmarks
I am glad to see he extolled the virtues of ballistol and how good it is. I use ballistol for patches ,cleaning ,conditioning,etc. I've mentioned it a few times but it is largely ignored as a cleaner yet it is one of the best. I know some have said it has a terrible smell, but everything has it's drawbacks. Try ballistol sometime and see what you think

I am another Ballistol fan, the main thing I like (other than the rather strong smell) is that it will mix with water and when mixed tends to limit the ability of water to rust the metal. This factor is great when using to store the rifle as if there is any tiny bit of water or moisture in the barrel the Ballistol will limit its ability to do any damage. I buy it in a gallon container as well as the smaller spray type bottles.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

IMO Pyrodex is more stable and consistent than T-7. And it is also a lot cheaper. So I am not surprised that it keeps on selling. Actually what amazes me is how willing shooters are to pay the outrageous prices of some of the new MZ powders. I have went back to straight black powder only. And with a little load development I personally do not believe any other powder is any more accurate. Including the ridiculously priced BH-209. Tom.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:44 PM
Dominant Buck

I have shot Pyrodex for years. As long as you clean the rifle with in a reasonable time frame, it will not rust your rifle, or hurt anything. Actually when I find a rifle that is temperamental, I normally try Pyrodex RS or black powder as they tend to shoot out the problem. It is a good powder.