Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

TC Triumph

Old 04-08-2010, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default TC Triumph

Several months ago Cabela's had the Triumph on sale for $250, and i purchased one. Yesterday it seemed it was time to give it a try. The scope was mounted, and the factory sights were removed.

This morning i headed up into the hills, and set out the target. First i set up at 40 yard or so, sighted on the lower left target, and fired shot #1. Turned the scope dial down several clicks, and fired shot #2; turned down a few clicks and fired shot #3. The load for every shot today was 105g BH209 lit by W209 primer, pushing a 300g 44 caliber xtp in a crush rib sabot.

Moved out to 101 yard, sighted on the lower right target, and fired shot #4. Turned the elevation dial down about 11 clicks, and that was that for the sight in. Fired shots #5,6, and 7 at 101 yard at the lower right target.

Finished this morning's shooting by moving out to 200 yard. There i sighted on the upper left target, and fired shots #8,9, and 10.

When i arrived home, here is what the breech looked like.

Here is what i saw when i removed the breech plug, and examined the primers.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

Shucks, looks like you got stuck with one of those dirty breech guns.

That is one FINE two hundred yard group Ron! Congratulations. How big is the black section of those pistol targets?
Old 04-08-2010, 10:47 AM
Dominant Buck

Great shooting there. Wow!! that is a clean breech area. Almost makes me was to sell the Black Diamond. Almost I said.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Each ring is 1", which makes the black 4". Selling the Black Diamond isn't.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:41 AM
Typical Buck

Thats what mine looked like the first time I shot it. Then thinking that the flash hole was 1/16'' like my prohunter, I started getting blow back. But long story short from old post I know its a 1/8''. Havn't shot my BC since I put in the new breech plug.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:47 PM
Fork Horn

My guess is she'll be spot on at 40 yds and again at 150. Nice shooting.

Last edited by gearheart; 04-08-2010 at 04:49 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

DAVE YOU DON'T HAVE TO SELL ANY THING TO OWN a TRIUMPH or two.
Mine sit along side of a System One a very similar design to the Black Diamond except that the barrels are switchable, with the Endeavor on the other side and the Hawkins and Renegades across from it and it seems quite content.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

This calculation should be quite close to reality. Looks like you hit right on 150 yd, but not 40 yd.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:23 PM
Fork Horn

Nice shooting. Have you tried anything in the harvester short black sabot. That sure tightened up my groups with several different bullets in the triumph.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by revpilot
Nice shooting. Have you tried anything in the harvester short black sabot. That sure tightened up my groups with several different bullets in the triumph.
These 10 shots with a crush rib sabot are the only shots fired by this rifle, so i guess the answer to your question is no. Further, the crush ribs are quite tight; seems the smooth sabot would be too difficult for me to get down the barrel. I was considering many swipes with JB compound, but am not any more; why fix somethin' that isn't broke. The short black sabot do work well in the Accura, and i use them all the time in it's slightly larger hole.

The Triumph seems to be a well engineered, accurate, nice handling rifle. It feels nice in my hands, and comes to the shoulder quite nicely. I wanted to purchase one when they first came out, but just couldn't do it, because i need to hunt muzzle loader season with iron sights, and can't get my face low enough on the stock to use the iron sights. Now that i hunt regular rifle seasons with a muzzle loader, and because Cabela's put them on sale for $250, i finally have a Triumph in my arsenal.

I am very much looking forward to hunting with it this next season; it just feels so good, is light, and is accurate. Early doe season here, rifle season in Montana, regular rifle season here, and late doe season here, is when it will be used. Then muzzle loader season here with the x7, in the timber, and the Accura out on the prairie.