Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
My Latest Acquisition Is Confused >

My Latest Acquisition Is Confused

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

My Latest Acquisition Is Confused

Old 04-01-2010, 06:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default My Latest Acquisition Is Confused

It doesn't know if it's a Reneken or a Hawkagade.

Last week one of my "sidelock jugs" got a good bite and I landed a .54 TC Hawken for a good price.

It's what you would call a "beater" gun - banged up stock and rusty barrel. It even has a broken front trigger - not as in "it won't work" broken, but as in "the bottom half of the trigger is missing" broken. The seller said it was hanging on a set of antlers on the wall and the whole shebang fell and hit the floor with the antler still through the trigger guard.

The stock looked as though the gun had traveled more than a few miles in the bed of a pick-up - along with a pile of chain and miscellaneous tools. The outside of the barrel isn't too bad, but the bore is a "bit" rusty. Both sights are missing, and it's been drilled and tapped with four holes for mounting scope bases - two in front of and two behind the factory sight holes.

I haven't tackled the barrel yet. But I have refinished the stock.

That TC factory finish was a b-i-t-c-h to get off. But once I got it down to bare wood I was able to raise all of the dents with hot-hot water (there were no gouges fortunately). Then I hit it with some Minwax English Chestnut stain and followed up with five very thin coats of Minwax clear satin water based Polycrylic, wet sanding with 600 grit paper between each coat. Of course, I had to polish the brass too. It came out pretty good.

Now the .54 Hawken carries a 1" across the flats barrel, and I had a pristine .50 Renegade barrel sitting in the closet. So I married them up and took wedding pictures. Is it a Reneken or a Hawkagade?

Old 04-01-2010, 06:11 PM
Typical Buck

great job Semi!!Call it a"SEMIKEN".
Old 04-01-2010, 06:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Semi

That is one good looking Reneken ....
Old 04-01-2010, 06:16 PM
Dominant Buck

very nice job on the whole works... it looks real nice.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

I dont know what you would call it other then SWEET!!
Old 04-02-2010, 04:29 AM
Fork Horn

She shure is pretty for shure.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:56 AM
Fork Horn

Looks like new again.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:21 PM
Fork Horn

You did a great job on the whole rifle Semi. You can't beat Minwax stains. What did you use to strip the old finish off? I have a couple of center fires I need to refinish the wood on.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hey dburns, I use Hood Finishing Products "Hoodstrip 290" ( http://www.hoodfinishing.com/Finish_Removers.html). It's easy to use and does a great job. My back fence neighbor repairs and refinishes furniture professionally. He buys it in 5-gallon jugs and gave me some to try a few years back. After mooching off of him for a year I finally bought myself a gallon. That's easily enough for a dozen stocks.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Excellent work Semi, very nice looking.
Back in the old days the gunsmiths that built them by hand stained with Triaminic acid I used some and like it real well. Lee

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.