Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
CVA Breech Plug Drill bit >

CVA Breech Plug Drill bit

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA Breech Plug Drill bit

Old 03-27-2010, 06:17 PM
Banned

Default CVA Breech Plug Drill bit

If you need a good drill bit the clean out the flash channel, a #32 works perfect! The 7/64" is super small as i found out.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:27 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks MD for the info on the drill bit.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

MD

A #32 is 0.116" or 2.946mm, the new plugs for BH are being made @ 0.159" or 4.039mm - reduces the need for drill bits and gets the pressure from the 209A and 209M to and through the flash hole.

MD When I had Saxman's plugs here I forgot to measure the size of the flash hole.. What does your's measure?

Western recommends 0.034" minimun with 0.036" as ideal... both of which I think is to large, but what I think doesn't really matter. Those larger diameter holes get better ignition of BH, especially in cold wet weather and also keeps the flash channel cleaner longer (less drill bit work) but increases the blow back pressure the spent 209 primer feels. I have settled in on 0.032" as the best for BH and BP subs... for me.

Last edited by sabotloader; 03-27-2010 at 06:59 PM.
Old 03-27-2010, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

sabotloader

The flash hole of the factory made Accura breech plug is real close to 0.028". It is much smaller than 0.032".

Now i want to say the flash hole is 0.029", after measuring again.

Last edited by ronlaughlin; 03-27-2010 at 07:57 PM.
Old 03-27-2010, 07:47 PM
Typical Buck

Do any of you guys know what the Bone Collector Breech Plug is? I forgot to check it when I got the gun. I know its bigger than the ProHunter breech plug.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

The flash hole of the Triumph breech plug is very close to 0.029", and i am assuming the bone collector uses the same breech plug. I don't really know.

I also checked the flash hole of the Omega breech plug, and it is the same as the Triumph, and the Accura; 0.029". There is more at play than just flash hole size when it comes to igniting BH209 than just flash hole size. The Omega is 100% reliable in lighting BH209, but the Accura has a hang fire once only very seldom. It seems to me the shape of the muzzle end of the breech plugs could be more important than the size of the flash hole, within reason.

Last edited by ronlaughlin; 03-27-2010 at 08:26 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

i gotta ask.what is all this drilling out a breech plug? after shooting i take out my plug and run hot water and dish soap through it in the sink holding it with needle nose with running water pressure and use run a pick through it. when its clean i blow through it and then soak it in oil ( shooters choice fp-10 )until the next time. ive never had the hole close up from corrosion. it only takes a few caps to blow the oil residue out of it. never a problem with pyrodex. black mag powder goes off so fast its crazy. this is on an omega breech plug. ive seen guys at the range all fustrated not being able to get a pick through there breech plug but only due to poor cleaning. ive also heard that making the hole too big causes accuracy issues that i dont want to play around with.

Last edited by liquidorange; 03-28-2010 at 06:25 AM.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

liquidorange

There really is not much of a problem with any breech plug when shooting regular 209 primers and any black powder or black powder sub - other than BH-209.

When shooting BH with the very high pressure 209's like the Federal 209A or the CCI-209M as recommended by Western Powders - the flash channel in the breech plug will fill with a hard carbon. To clear that carbon most folks use a drill bit that they turn by hand to remove the carbon from the channel. This carbon builds as you are shooting and at the range to maintain accuracy you may have twist the carbon at the bench.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
If you need a good drill bit the clean out the flash channel, a #32 works perfect! The 7/64" is super small as i found out.
Another option would be to drill out the flash channel with a readily available 1/8" drill. This is quite simple to do, and results in the flash channel, and the 'cleaning' drill being exactly the same. The 1/8" drill will naturally follow the 3mm flash channel. Be aware though, the flash hole is only about 1/8" long, so don't drill through it, or you will have to install a vent liner. It is not difficult to 'feel' the drill hit the beginning of the flash hole.

Some feel the larger flash channel will give better ignition results too.